Poll: BP/W users, all 1 MFR. or a mix ?

Is your BP/W from 1 manufacturer or a mixture ?

• BP/W components from 1 Manufacturer

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • BP/W components from a mixture of manufacturers

Votes: 56 64.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Curious if BP/W users have all their components from 1 manufacturer or a mixture. Wings, plate, harness, pockets, etc..

My wife and I both intentionally use a mixture of manufacturers. Components chosen based on what fit out needs best, functionality and price.

Me: DSS wing, Oxy softplate, Dive Rite aluminum plate, generic harness.

Wife: DSS wing, Oxy softplate, Dive Rite Transplate Harness, XS Scuba weight pockets.

DSS Long plates (steel and kydex)
two DSS singles wings depending on configuration
Hollis doubles wing
XS scuba weight pockets
harness webbing/buckles from DSS
assorted d-rings and glides
additional DSS buckle for weight belt (so much nicer than any other buckle I could find)

everybody gets a chance....

DSS Plates (because they have long and x-long)
VDH plate for DH
DSS, OxyCheq, DR and HOG wings
Some DR harnesses (fluffy style), and some Hogarthian from various sources
DR accessory pockets
XS Scuba weight pouches
various cam band manufacturers

complete DR Nomad...

Last edited:
The typical consumer likes to see a fully manufactured complete product. However, modular products that allow components from different manufacturers is a huge benefit of the BP/W.

DSS travel wing:
IMHO, best travel wing. I like it much better than my Dive Rite and OXY.

OXY softplate:
Same functionality, but much cheaper than the Apex, Scubapro, Dive Rite, Zeagle.

DR Aluminum plate:
Same functionality, but cheaper than competitors lightweight hardplates.

DR Transplate adjustable harness:
Much better functionality than OXY, better functionality than Hollis, cheaper than both.

XS Scuba weight pockets:
IMHO, best small weight pockets available and inexpensive.

Last edited:
Straight Halcyon, except the the XS Scuba weight pockets.

(Well, the rebreather rig is a mishmash of Hollis, DiveRite, and Golem Gear, along with Halcyon webbing and XS Scuba pockets.)

My singles setup has an Oxycheq plate with a DSS wing (and no, they haven't spontaneously combusted) because I bought it that way. My home doubles setup is an OMS aluminum plate (because DSS doesn't make aluminum, and I couldn't buy a plate that day on the day when I got so frustrated with the steel I was going to spit) and a Deep Outdoors doubles wing, which I like because it has a huge upper arc and it's bright lemon yellow. My travel doubles setup is a DSS Kydex plate (great because it flexes if the bolt lengths are short) and the same, bright yellow wing.

I started with DiveRite SS plate, DiveRite transplate, Oxycheq single wing, DeepOurDoor STA, DiveRite QR weight pockets. After 5 years of diving an trying out other brands and combinations. I ended up with my main single rig as Halcyon small SS plate, Halcyon Eclipse 30lb, generic basic harness, still keeping the DeepOutDoor STA, XS weight pockets on cambands. Travel rig is Halcyon AL plate, same Eclipse 30 wing, Halcyon STA. Double rig is the same Halcyon AL plate, Halcyon Evolve 40lb.

My singles setup has an Oxycheq plate with a DSS wing (and no, they haven't spontaneously combusted) ....

:D
That's funny.

Manufacturers might hate it, but as a diver, it's great having the ability to mix and match. It's interesting to read how everyone has evolved in their component choices.

Halcyon: harness, plate, old integrated STA wing, cambands, SS inflator.
DSS: plate-cut D-rings, OPV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom