Dialing in BPW fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs

Contributor
Reaction score
So I just got back from Bonaire where I got to try out my new DSS rig! I replaced a very basic (no pockets) back inflate BC so I was curious how much of a difference I would see. But back to the subject. Either I got lucky and set it up properly from the start or I'm just not that finicky or I'm clueless, but it just seemed fine to me from the start! Sure I messed with weights, but the harness was fine. So my question is what should I be looking for that would signal to me a need to make an adjustment? Man I loved diving this rig! Old bc had a 35lb wing, I'm using the DSS LCD 20lb wing. Most of the time I had little to no air added to the wing. No doing the chicken dance to vent the wing on my safety stop :wink: I will be real interested to try it out this summer with cold water diving. Check me off as another VERY satisfied BPW convert!

If the setup is hard to get in and out of, it's too tight. With a single tank, you can have the shoulder straps quite loose, and make up for it with a snug crotch strap. That makes the rig easy to don and doff, but keeps the tank lovely and stable on your back. It's with doubles that the fit gets finicky.

Ok, ok, no magic bullet for me huh? :wink: I had no problem getting in or out and I have a bad shoulder. I also did not find the crotch strap doing much of anything for or against me (thank god for the latter :wink: ), but I literally spent 0 time on the surface. I found that I could roll with no effort and no sign of movement. It was a joy! So I think I am going to declare a success on the harness fit and just play with amount and location of weights!

It's not that hard to get it right. Sounds like you are in business. For the record, I too saw a big difference in general mobility and comfort when switching. Love it!

Ok, ok, no magic bullet for me huh? :wink: I had no problem getting in or out and I have a bad shoulder. I also did not find the crotch strap doing much of anything for or against me (thank god for the latter :wink: ), but I literally spent 0 time on the surface. I found that I could roll with no effort and no sign of movement. It was a joy! So I think I am going to declare a success on the harness fit and just play with amount and location of weights!

Glad to hear you are having success with your BP&W. Thank you for posting your experiences with initial fitting. It's a common concern of new BP&W buyers. Your report helps to address those concerns.

Overall fit for a singles rig is usually achieved in the first couple dives. Fine tuning, mostly the location of the chest and hip drings can take a bit longer. This is of particular concern for divers that are converting to a Hogarthian configuration. Being able to find the dring to clip off your primary reg and spg can be challenging at first, and having the drings in the optimal position helps.

Tobin

Reactions: mbs
a Proper fitting harness is key to safe diving. The harness should not be restrictive and enable you to reach all around your body. You must be able to reach your valve(s), you must be able to reach all your d-rings with either hand. The majority of the systems weight should be carried on the hips. Many divers have the bulk of the weight on the shoulders. Crotch strap should not to tight.

I know my setup is wrong if my shoulders feel restricted. Getting out of the rig must be effortless. The rest is personal preference.............

The mistake I made when first switching to a BP was having the shoulder straps too tight. When diving in trim, parachute position, I would get really sore shoulders about 20 minutes into the dive. I loosened the shoulder straps and pain all but disappeared. As has already been stated above the waist band and crotch strap keep everything snug. I look at shoulder straps like mask straps, more often than not loosening fixes the problem, not tightening.

I agree with everything below with one (potential) exception. Not sure what is meant by "The majority of the systems weight should be carried on the hips." I could be reading this wrong... But for me if I doing typical tropical 80/80/80 diving with a skin or 3mm wetsuit, I don't need to add weight with a steel BP. If I decide to add 2-4 lbs, I'll put weights in pockets on the top camband (not not my hips).

a Proper fitting harness is key to safe diving. The harness should not be restrictive and enable you to reach all around your body. You must be able to reach your valve(s), you must be able to reach all your d-rings with either hand. The majority of the systems weight should be carried on the hips. Many divers have the bulk of the weight on the shoulders. Crotch strap should not to tight.

I know my setup is wrong if my shoulders feel restricted. Getting out of the rig must be effortless. The rest is personal preference.............

Standing on dry land, the weight of the entire rig should be "resting" on your hips/waste-belt, not on the shoulders. Your hips is where you feel the weight of rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom