Travel weight reduction of ExpressTech or go new config?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelwindmachine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just returned from diving in St. Croxi USVI. I'm currently using the basic Express Tech, 3" webbing, no crotch strap, 1 med-sized Dive-Rite pocket that contains a plastic signalling whistle and mirror, 3-stainless D-rings, and a Trident SS belt clasp.

I'm 5'11", 186lbs, medium build. I dive in a 3mil full suit with boots, Mares Volo Power fins, use a wrist computer and rent my tanks, regs, weights and weight belt (I wear the belt below the BC belt). I only dive in warm water, all of which is a travel destination - I live in NJ and don't dive locally.

All told, my Express Tech weighs in at 6.5lbs dry.

During my last round of diving I went in with 8lbs (2 x 3lbs on weight belt, 1 2lb on upper tank strap). I didn't have any buoyancy issues and got through most of my dives with very little air in my wing. I had just completed my Peak Perf. Buoyancy class for my AOW, so had my weight pretty well dialed in for this location/gear.

I'd love to have integrated weight pockets or trim pockets to eliminate the need for a separate weight belt, but this would add even more material weight to the BC.

I was looking at the Zeagle Covert and am amazed by the weight. I don't think I could do much better with a composite back-plate and small 18-lb-ish wing, HOG harness, plastic sex-bolts plus weight pockets, but am open to suggestions.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could cut down the weight on my BC? I'm sure I could drop a few ounces by changing out the SS hardware to plastic and the 3" webbing to 2".

Ultimately, I'd like my gear to be as light as possible for travel and I'll tack weight on at my destination if I need it.

I'd look at the DSS Kydex with LCD20 wing. Should be a bit more durable and lighter weight than what you have, but a bit more versatile than the covert. You can swap the metal waist buckle for plastic, and should have a rig just as light if not lighter than the covert, but should need less lead because it won't float like the Covert likely does with the padded backpad and shoulder pads. It likely needs at least 1 if not 2lbs just to sink itself.

Should be able to drop to 6lbs instead of 8, and you can easily do that just on a standard weight belt.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-gears-trim-weight-pocket-each
https://www.divegearexpress.com/dr-travel-weight-pocket-each
go with either of those if you want quick release weights. The DR is a little nicer since it has buckle closure, but the advantage of those is a lot of places are going to soft weights, so those will at least accept bag weights.

You can ask Tobin what the whole system weights with kydex plate and LCD20 weighs, but I think it is right around 4lbs. Same weight, but it should take at least 2lbs off of your belt compared to the Zeagle you have now....

I emailed Tobin to request the total weight on his: Single Tank Rig w/ Medium Hybrid Kydex plate, Hogarthian Harness, LCD 20 Single Tank Wing w/ 30 mil Bladder

I know Oxychek and Ghost BPW setups get mentioned in these convos, but again, I think the weight pockets are omitted and their weight seldom counted when adding these options up.

For travel, skip the weight pockets AND the weight belt. I don't know of any places that don't include weights/weight-belt in the price of their fills/tanks/dives. Get the most basic BPW setup you can get, ditch the pocket, add a 1" crotch strap. For more extreme savings, plastic buckles and d-rings can be had. I'd stick with metal tri-glides, though. Plastic cambands can be a big deal, and moving to one will not be as comfortable on most setups but might be worth the weight savings.

As for the Ghost, I think that's a very good looking setup....and I might be tempted to recommend it over the DSS Kydex plate and 20# wing....but it is a 5# BCD plus the cambands.

One thing I might suggest for properly extreme weight savings: Custom Razor-type harness with an MSR-bladder-type wing. Maybe not something for you to look at short-term, but maybe deal with your Express Tech for a while and then get some good SM training on go on to that. Single-tank SM is very nice off of boats. I'm planning on ditching the bladder alltogether. I think my total travel weight for single-tank SM is under 2lbs and can fit in my backpack. My weightbelt is heavy, but I love it and won't give it up....which adds an extra pound to my travels. Another weight-belt replacement is simply bungee when little weight is needed.

I guess the final question is: What is that last pound-or-two worth to you? I know that when I travel, weight becomes a very minor issue. The heavy-heavy stuff stays in my carryon and gets ignored for weighing (regs, computer, etc). My fins are far from travel-fins, but I love them....though I've been tempted to get travel-ier type fins for that, we'll see.

6.5 lbs is pretty light, but I didn't think the Express Tech had 3" webbing.

Like you said, changing to plastic hardware is one way to get lighter. On my rig, the SS cam bands are the heaviest item.

Last edited:
I emailed Tobin to request the total weight on his: Single Tank Rig w/ Medium Hybrid Kydex plate, Hogarthian Harness, LCD 20 Single Tank Wing w/ 30 mil Bladder

I know Oxychek and Ghost BPW setups get mentioned in these convos, but again, I think the weight pockets are omitted and their weight seldom counted when adding these options up.

If configured the same, a DSS system would be heavier than an Express Tech, as both the wing and the backplate are heavier than the Express Tech. The Oxycheq is heavier and bulkier than the DSS. Can't comment on the Ghost.

You can save weight by:

1) Switching D-rings to plastic
2) Using plastic buckles on both the belt and tank bands.
3) Trim any excess webbing
4) Swap out the inflator hose with a shorter version. The hose on the Express Tech is much too long to begin with.

The Express Tech uses a fabric plate and a wing without an inner bladder. It does not get much lighter than that.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2015 at 10:13 PM ----------

I didn't think the Express Tech had 3" webbing.

The webbing is 2" not 3" on the Express Tech.

The only thing I know that's close to a Covert is the Aqualung Zuma -
Once you lift it, you’ll feel for yourself that a size ML/LG weighs less than 2.2kg (4.75 lbs), with the airway and weight pockets included!

Or the ScubaPro Go at 4.1 lbs. But it's a jacket and they get the weight down by using 210 Denier fabric.

I would put half the weight or more on the tank strap. So it 6lb at the tank strap and 2lb in front.

Are you sure about the bcd weight? My express tech deluxe (padded back and shoulders) with 24# bladder, integrated weight pockets, and 2" crotch strap comes in at about 5.5 as weighed on a digital scale (first me, then me+bcd). Without pockets, pads, and crotch strap yours should be less than mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom