oxycheq 18# vs DSS torus 17# vs DSS LCD 20#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the process of picking out a new single tank wing. I am currently using a halcyon pioneer 27#. When I was looking at an old video I noticed that there was a fair amount of taco-ing going on.

I use a 3mm wetrsuit with a 3mm hooded vest, aluminum 80 with a standard steel plate. I typically use no additional weight.

My two frequent dive buddies use oxycheq wings. Does anybody have any insight regarding the DSS LCD20 vs torus17 v mach 5 18#?

Thanks.

the oxycheq's are usually very stiff which can make packing a problem, but they are very heavy duty. DSS is nice since they are designed to be used without an STA and I think it works better than the anti roll bars on the Oxycheq. Personal preference. Call Tobin and ask his opinion, and if you end up with Oxycheq, Cave Adventurers has a bunch in stock at great prices so give them a call.

the oxycheq's are usually very stiff which can make packing a problem, .

I've traveled dozens of times with my wing and, wonder of wonders, somehow I haven't had any problem packing it up. It's just fabric like any other wing. People tend to repeat stuff they've heard on this forum; that doesn't make it true.

I use the oxycheq because of the inflation hose being on the left side instead of center where the valve is at. that allows an apparent longer hose to use though not really longer. Let me say that i use H valves on my tanks so the tank valve area can get pretty congested making the left shoulder a nice place for the inflater hose. it is also a non sta wing.

I've traveled dozens of times with my wing and, wonder of wonders, somehow I haven't had any problem packing it up. It's just fabric like any other wing. People tend to repeat stuff they've heard on this forum; that doesn't make it true.

Yup, this is pure "Urban Legend."

I have an Oxycheq 30# (same size as the 18#) and it packs just as easy/small as any other wing I have ever owned.

have an oxycheq. flat it packs fine, but doesn't roll like some of my other wings. I do tend to pack them flat, but I think Oxycheq did go a bit overboard on their outer covers. DSS is similar. I used to travel with an old DR Travel wing that rolls up quite well and fits in the spine of a backplate. Was using it with my transpac, but it was significantly smaller when packed than my new DSS wing. The Halcyons I have used due to the impregnated fabric tend to pack a bit better than the heavy urethane bladders as well

I have personal experience with Oxycheq wing myself. While it isn't an issue, it is definitely not a travel friendly wing compare to DSS and Halcyon. It is not a urban legend. You need to to have comparison to tell the differences. Before I acquire other wing, I thought my oxycheq was good enough too

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2015 at 09:59 AM ----------

Yup, this is pure "Urban Legend."

I have an Oxycheq 30# (same size as the 18#) and it packs just as easy/small as any other wing I have ever owned.

then you either haven't had a very travel friendly wing, or you didn't pack your other wing properly. Even a Halcyon Evolve double wing will pack much smaller than Oxycheq single wing. A H Eclipse single wing will fold into shirt like size. My oxcheq can never pack nearly as small

So all things being equal you would go with the cheapest of the three?

Also people mention that the oxycheq 17 and 30 are the same size. I assume the oxycheq 30 has more depth given the length and width are the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom