Wing size for 5mm wetsuit aluminum 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbtech

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm going on a diving trip where i'll be diving in a 5mm wetsuit with an aluminum bp, 6lb weight belt and a single aluminum 80 tank. I am trying to decide which size wing would work best with this combo - 18lb or 30lb.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Your total neg is 8lbs, positive is 4 lbs. So, 4 lbs neg with 5 lbs neg in gas.....18 lbs is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 lbs should be plenty. Do you plan on having a wing for every occasion or is this typically the type of diving you do?

how deep are you going? and how much of your head do you want out of the water at the surface?

plate-6lbs
tank-2lbs
misc-2-4lbs
Total negative ~12-14lbs

Wetsuit ~10lbs ish

You are cutting it close with an 18 if you go deep depending on how much suit compression you have. You need to figure out how positive your wetsuit is to get an accurate number. Ideal situation is to take your rig with a full AL80 to a pool with a luggage scale and weight it. Put your wetsuit inside of a mesh bag and add weight until it starts sinking. Add the two up and that is how much lift you need. Rig-6-wetsuit is your lead requirements.

Honestly the way most wings are designed these days, the difference in size and drag between an 18lbs and 30 lbs is not really noticeable. 30lbs is probably a safer bet to cover all your bases... I've never encountered a situation where I needed less lift.

how deep are you going? and how much of your head do you want out of the water at the surface?

plate-6lbs
tank-2lbs
misc-2-4lbs
Total negative ~12-14lbs

Wetsuit ~10lbs ish

You are cutting it close with an 18 if you go deep depending on how much suit compression you have. You need to figure out how positive your wetsuit is to get an accurate number. Ideal situation is to take your rig with a full AL80 to a pool with a luggage scale and weight it. Put your wetsuit inside of a mesh bag and add weight until it starts sinking. Add the two up and that is how much lift you need. Rig-6-wetsuit is your lead requirements.

I would think that an AL backplate would be 2lbs not 6lbs.

Given the weighting you described, 18 lbs is plenty of lift. You must be a fairly solid lean person if you're only using 6 lbs of lead with a 5mm suit and AL80, because it takes 4 lbs (give or take) to compensate for the empty tank.

Hello,
I'm going on a diving trip where i'll be diving in a 5mm wetsuit with an aluminum bp, 6lb weight belt and a single aluminum 80 tank. I am trying to decide which size wing would work best with this combo - 18lb or 30lb.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Your rig will be about - 6 lbs with a full tank. 2 lbs for the plate and harness, 2 for your reg, 2 for your full al 80.

It would be a very odd 5mm suit that even approaches 18 lbs buoyancy, and your ballast reflects that. With an empty tank your have about provides about 6 lbs of things that don't float. That suggests your 5mm suit is maybe 8 lbs positive at the surface.

Given your rig is -6 and your suit is ~+8 a very small wing is all you need. 17-18 is plenty.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom