Integrated weight system or weight belt???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have just purchased my first BC the Tusa Evolution Platina. I was always going to use the integrated weight system, but I have been speaking to a few people and some suggest that it is better to stick to a weight belt, I have been using the bright weight belt up until know.

I would appreciate any advice on the pros and cons of these two systems.

Thanks

blacksabbath:
I have just purchased my first BC the Tusa Evolution Platina. I was always going to use the integrated weight system, but I have been speaking to a few people and some suggest that it is better to stick to a weight belt, I have been using the bright weight belt up until know.

I would appreciate any advice on the pros and cons of these two systems.

Thanks

I dive with integrated weights (SeaQuest Pro QD with velcro pockets). In the ocean, I have 12 lbs ditchable, and 8 lbs in the back pockets. I've heard stories of the velcro pouches letting go, but my personal experience is that they stay snugly fastened. All my weights are soft pouches, and they conform to the pockets nicely.

I love my integrated weights, now that I'm used to them. The key phrase there is "used to them". I took a new BC with weight integration on my first boat dive. Bad decision. Too much of a learning curve, and I fought the thing for 30 minutes, trying to figure out my trim. I didn't have the weights placed properly in the pockets, and everytime I moved, they moved, which caused me to list from one side to the other. I wish I had a video, it had to be funny to watch, because I was getting frustrated as hell. I did the same thing on my second dive, because no stupid BC was going to get the best of me. It did...lol. I finally took the DM's advice on the second day's dives, and went back to the weight belt, just so the trip wasn't a total waste. It made all the difference in the world, and I got to enjoy my bottom time, which incidentally doubled, since I was no longer fighting, and was actually relaxed in the water.
The first thing I did when I got home was to head to a local dive spot, and spend time in the water figuring the weight integration system out. No stupid BC gonna beat me..lol. After i worked it out, I have no desire to use a belt again. My trim is waaaay better, since my center of gravity and my center of bouyancy are closer together. I also find neutral bouyancy a lot faster, since my trim is so much better. With the belt, it was harder, since my lower half always seemed to drift down.
The moral of this long story is to try any new gear out in a pool, and either get comfortable with it or ditch it BEFORE you go on a trip. Practice is the only way to find out if it's going to work for you or not. The only bad thing about my trip was that I wasted two dives fighting new equipment. That's one more lesson learned for me. And my wife says I'm hardheaded...wonder where she gets that idea? :54:

If your weight belt only weighs up to 10 lbs, then that is fine. If you need more weight than that on your belt, you should consider first adding some nonditchable weight to perfect your trim, then integrate the rest of your weight requirements onto your B/C or harness.

Minimizing your weight belt prevents lower back pain. Your weight belt should always at a minimum equal the weight of the air in your tank(s) however. That way you can establish neutral buoyancy at any time, really quickly. 10 lbs should be plenty.

As long as you avoid a thick wetsuit, then you should have no danger from suit compression and the additional ditchable weight this would require for safety. If you are wearing a thick wetsuit, then you also need to be prepared to ditch the rest of your weight as well, depending on your depth.

Generally, wearing as little weight on your weight belt as is necessary is going to feel more comfortable for you. An integrated weight system puts the weight onto your B/C or harness, not onto your lower back.

Therefore I suggest splitting the total weight between 1) the weight belt, 2) nonditchable weight, and 3) the integrated weight pouches. Not either/or.

I used a weight belt for years until I went to Caymans and like a thick headed dolt, I jumped in the water with out my belt on. I was pretty embarrassed so when I got home from that trip I went out and bought a weight integrated bc. I love it. I can not believe that I ever used a belt. I use very little weight to begin with, so that could make a difference in your experience I suppose, but I'll never go back to a belt

Jim

I love my integrated weight BC. In cold water with a lot of neoprene it takes all the stress off my spine. I can do forward rolls and backward rolls without stressing my spine. I can hang in any position I want - just don't forget to use a crotch strap if like me you like to hang upside down to photograph things under ledges. The only problem I have with my Mares Synchro Tec when I travel by plane is that the main ditchable weights at the front are looped on mini belts and not all dive boats have weights in convenient sizes to get a good distribution. Of course this is not a problem when we go to the dive location by surface travel and I take my own.

I would never go back to a weight belt, unless diving dry and thats by choice. The above points are well made. Don't know why anyone would tell you not to use the BC pockets other than some have been known to fall out when you don't want them to. Most of your newer BC's have taken that into consideration and that isn't a worry anymore. Just my 2 cents worth.

A question to those with integrated systems. What do you do when you fly somewhere? Do you leave the weights behind and just use loose weights in your BCD from wherever you are going? That is the main reason I still use a belt - I don't want the extra weight on the plane.

Kim, I just use the weights at the dive op. Most of them have soft weights which I like the best, but even if those are not available, the regular weights work fine. It may depend also on how your bc is set up. Mine works with either.

Weight integrated is the way to go, IMHO, but no one in this thread has even mentioned what I think is the BIGGEST ADVANTAGE of WI BC's...

The weight pockets in a BC are generally higher up on your body than a weight belt would be...which makes staying in the horizontal position much easier...i.e. when you have floating device (your BC) above a sinking device (your weight belt), the natural posture your body will assume is to be vertical! The closer they both are to the center of your body, the easier it is to stay horizontal.

Here's a great link on the subject:
http://www.stupiddivertricks.com/resource/equipment/04.html
...written about cave diving but with excellent pointers for all divers.

I travel too, so I don't bring soft weights either...I just get 2 (lead) 2lb's for each back pocket and 2 4lb's for the releasable front pockets...12 lb. total for me and a 2/3mm suit...works like a charm and one less thing to put on.

BTW, if you later decide you don't like weight in the BC, then just leave the pockets empty and use a belt...but I never met anyone who didn't like WI BC's who actually used them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom