Transpac II and wing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpage08

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to scuba and I recently got my OW certification and I'm in the market to buy a new set of gear. I've already purchased everything except for my BCD because I'm undecided on what to get. I think I've decided on the transpac II and trek wing. Is this all that I will need in regard to the BCD? I've only used jackets so far but I tried one of these on at my local shop and I like how it felt. Will the transpac II and trek wing be everything I need to completely replace the rental jack I've been using?

Thanks

in my opinion the trek wing is not the best wing for a single tank. Diverite has smaller wings designed for only single tanks, have you considered one of them?

I have considered them but the reason I was planning on the trek wing is for the future if I decide to upgrade to dual tanks. Which wing should I be looking at if I'm a new diver and plan on using single 80's for a while? Oh, and is the harness and wing all that will be needed for replace a jacket bcd?

I'd say if you're gonna go with a wing, go all the way with a backplate and wing. Get a single piece of webbing harness and a wing designed for a single tank. Trying to use a wing for doubles or a wing "that can do both" is just making yourself more work. And have someone who knows what they are doing adjust the harness for you.

If that's not your cup of tea, go for a good, well fitting, back-inflate BC.

bpage08:
I have considered them but the reason I was planning on the trek wing is for the future if I decide to upgrade to dual tanks. Which wing should I be looking at if I'm a new diver and plan on using single 80's for a while? Oh, and is the harness and wing all that will be needed for replace a jacket bcd?
Again, you cannot use the same air cell for singles and doubles - it will be grossly inadequate for either if you try to do both. However the same backplate and harness can be used for both applications.

A harness, backplate and wing will replace your BC. Some singles tank wings will require a single tank adapter (STA). Ask the dealer you are using.

mer:
Again, you cannot use the same air cell for singles and doubles - it will be grossly inadequate for either if you try to do both. However the same backplate and harness can be used for both applications.

A harness, backplate and wing will replace your BC. Some singles tank wings will require a single tank adapter (STA). Ask the dealer you are using.

Ok, this is a little more in-depth than I thought. I was ordering online since it would be $100 cheaper than going through my local dive shop. They have a fairly nice beuchat bcd there that I've used during training for $300. The only thing I dislike about the jacket is how it squeezes you as you inflate it and how it tends to bring me vertically while in the water which I was told a wing would help fix.

I agree with Mer, if you are not set on the transpac, try out just a bp and harness made from a single piece of webbing. It may end up being cheaper which is a good thing.

I don't know much about the dive rite single tank wings, as i dive with a halcyon pioneer wing.

It is best, in my opinion to have a dedicated single tank wing and then when you go to doub;es one day, get a wing made for doubles. Its nice to think that you can have one wing that woud work for both and some companies market such singe, like the trek wing, but I have found it was not best for my diving.

bpage08:
Would the dive-rite travel wing be a better idea?
I guess the first question is... why have you decided against a jacket BC? What benefits do you see the transpac having for you?

mer:
I guess the first question is... why have you decided against a jacket BC? What benefits do you see the transpac having for you?

I disliked how the jacket I used during training would squeeze the crap out of me when I inflated it and it had a tendancy to raise me vertically while underneath. I was told that both of these would be helped with a wing over a jacket. I think after getting some input I've decided to go with a jacket while I continue to learn and then upgrade to maybe a harness in the future.

Back
Top Bottom