Wing or stab jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am going to start diving with 2 x 12 litre cylinders and wondered if using a wing would be a better bet than a stab jacket. Also, any idea why wings are becoming more popular these days ???

Chris Sterling:
I am going to start diving with 2 x 12 litre cylinders and wondered if using a wing would be a better bet than a stab jacket. Also, any idea why wings are becoming more popular these days ???
I have no doubles experience, but everyone I've seen diving them uses a BP/W. As to why they are becoming more popular? Now that one I can talk about from my own experience.

1. Harness is infinitly adjustable. Nothing fits better than something custom made for you. Of course you make it yourself, but, that's half the fun of the setup.

2. No crushing or restriction feeling when you inflate the wing. All of the air is behind you.

3. Diving horizontal is easier.

4. If you're diving steel tanks, they will keep you upright or even on your back while on the surface. Don't worry about the stories of the wing pushing you onto your face.

5. Trim is really much easier.

Word of caution though, some people say you can dive a single tank with a double wing. From what I've read, that doesn't work real well. Single wing for single tank and double's wing for doubles. No big deal, it's not really to hard to swap them out anyway.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom