Lightweight tropical BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newhampster

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Zeagle Ranger. Very nice.

I'm looking to get a much-easier-to-travel-with (lighter), lower profile (don't need 44 lbs of lift if I'm diving with minimal bouyancy exposure protection) BC.

Want weight integration (typically use 10 lbs; might need 14 worst case).

I'm willing to look at both back and vest inflation style.

Any experiences here? Recommendations?

Some folks have mentioned the Zeagle Escape (with the optional low capacity air bladder) the Seaquest Balance, the Dive Rite Transpac II and the ScubaPro TravTEK.

===============
Here's an article on this I found at Sports Diver Interactive (PADI) Site:

Roundup: Get Back
By Staff

The evolution of the tropical backpack-style BC

Backpack-style BCs are one of the hottest trends in recreational diving. This ''new'' gear configuration actually dates back to the earliest days of scuba, when tanks were carried on a simplistic webbing harness that ran over the shoulders and attached at the waist. Years later, wreck and cave divers beefed up the webbing to support heavy double tanks and added ''wings''-back-mounted air bladders that wrapped around the tanks.

Next, the technical diving movement spawned a new generation of BCs that
combined high-capacity, back-mounted air cells with padded backpack-style
harnesses designed to spread the load of heavy gear configurations.

The final steps in backpack BC evolution were the streamlining of the harness system and the downsizing of the air cell. Thus was born the recreational back-flotation BC.

Advantages of the backpack BC include streamlined front and side profiles, ease of entry and exit and comfort. Like a hiker's pack, a well-designed backpack BC system spreads the load of tank and weights evenly between waist, hips and shoulders.

Within the category, models vary from heavyweight technical BCs to ultrastreamlined tropical models-plus several ''modular systems'' that allow the user to reconfigure the system according to the dive plan. Today, it is the featherweights that are drawing the most attention. Compact, light and simple, they are an ideal choice for the warm-water traveling diver.

Here, we feature four examples of the modern tropical backpack BC: two configured specifically for travel and warm-water use, and two modular
systems shown in their warm-water configuration.

Zeagle Escape
Sizes: S-XL (XS custom fit available)
Features: Low-profile bladder; 35 lb. lift capacity; 430-denier para-pac nylon construction; 2 flaps & 2 hidden utility pockets; adjusting elastic waist panels; 4 Delrin D rings to adjust sternum strap; 30 lb. ripcord weight system & 20 lb. rear-mount weight pockets; 5 available trim colors
MSRP: $479;
$602 with Octo+ alternate air source
www.zeagle.com

Dive Rite Transpac II
Sizes: XS-XXL
Features: Modular system allows for variety of single and double tank
configurations, with D-rings and grommetted holes for custom configurations;
padded cummerbund; quick-release shoulder straps.
MSRP: $569 with Travel Wings;
$579 with Trek Wings;
$595 with Rec Wings;
$695 with Dual Rec Wings;
$640 with SuperOne Wings;
$769 with Super Wings
www.sportdiver.com/ebrochure/diverite

ScubaPro TravTEK
Sizes: S-XL
Features: Low-profile wing with double bag constructon; 29 lb. lift capacity;
Alpine Pack Load Technology spreads weight across hips & chest; pull dumps
on left shoulder & lower left side; 8 stainless steel D rings; adjustable
shoulder and waist straps; available with either Air 2 or balanced power
inflator.
MSRP: $543
www.sportdiver.com/ebrochure/scubapro

SeaQuest Balance
Sizes: S-XL
Features: Patented integral weight holster release system with 20 lb. capacity; patented 3-dimensional, low-profile buoyancy bag; large contour back pack in sizes ML, L, XL for increased tank stability; 2 non-releasing rear weight pockets with 5 lb. capacity; shoulder straps use triangular load distribution system to increase comfort; rolled neoprene neck collar; 3 bent D rings; hide/drop pocket.
MSRP: $510
www.sea-quest.com

© 2002 World Publications, LLC Jan/Feb 2002
here's the source

Did you consider the Zeagle Scout?
No ripcord, no cumberbund and lots less money.
My LDS has the Scout for <$250.

At that price I won't mind having it around as a spare even if I get someting bigger later.
:D

michael

Got the same question Hamster. I have a Ranger as well and like it a lot. But like you, I dive 8 lbs in warm SW and feel that the Ranger is gross overkill. It also takes up almost 1/2 of my suitcase. I looked into a BP and travel wing but by the time I put it together and added intergrated weights (a must for me- I will give up a lot but not my IW) it cost more than my Ranger. I have been looking at the Scout, at $219 it's interesting but online is the only place I have seen one (none at LDS). I think I want to stick with back inflation in hopes that the new BC and the Ranger will feel somewhat alike.......may be another reason to go with the Scout. I may just order one and see. Keep us posted if you find something interesting

Hampster, I'd scout out a Scout.

BTW, that "history" of dive gear which credits wreck and cave divers for the secure harness is misleading. The very early harness setups from USD included shoulder, chest cross straps, crotch strap, waist strap and quick release D rings. Typical applications were on double 70's and triple 40's. Cave diving was unknown in those days.

The "hellcyon" people appear to have become dissatisfied with the simple circa 1970's Atpac straps and added some stuff from the ancient 1950's tank harness. For twenty years the entire trend was to get away from these straps, and here we go again. I still like the Scubapro, 70's era arrangement for rec diving but I can also see the disadvantages for multi tank rigs with multiple accessories. Sometimes, the multipoint harness is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom