Re-dying your BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron Brandt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
After several years of teaching with my Zeagle it has finally turned brown from the clorine. It is still functionally perfect.

Has anyone on here ever disassembled and re-dyed their BC ? Mine was black with blue . I just want to color it black again.

What type of dye could anyone think of that will work ? I bought a spare drysuit off of ebay where the owner had tryed fabric dye but does not look all that good.(trilam suit)

Thanks
Ron

Given that most BC sare made out of a synthetic material that is made to be very durable and fairly non-absorbant, I can't think of how this could be done without damaging the fabric.

Just think of it as a badge of all those dives you've done... equipment that looks too new is suspicious! :wink:

~SubMariner~

Maybe they'll give you a new one! I wouldn't try to dye it, probably wouldn't "take" and might stain the hell out of your skin or wetsuit as it bleeds out over the next 20 years.

If you are concerned about it you could retire the ranger to the pool and get a new one :). I wouldn't worry about it.

-K

Take it to an Upholstery Shop. Most of these shops die material ranging from vinyl to seatbelts to webbing material. They sould be able to help you out.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom