Buying dive equipment online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhatAnIdea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I'm looking for other divers opinions on purchasing dive equipment online. Aqualung doesn't warranty the equipment purchased online, is this a big deal?

Thanks

I don't think that I would buy dive gear without a warranty. Its too expensive to take chances.

I have ordered things like dive lights, knives, gloves online. I wouldn't order something like a BC or wet/dry suit, just because I think that you need to try on the specific one that you are buying to make sure that it works for you.

Thats just my opinion. Some people I'm sure are much more comfortable with this!

Kayla

WhatAnIdea:
Hello,

I'm looking for other divers opinions on purchasing dive equipment online. Aqualung doesn't warranty the equipment purchased online, is this a big deal?

Thanks

It depends on whether you feel their equipment is superior enough to not need a warranty.

Frankly, I want equipment that only fails as a total fluke...I want the manufacturer to put it a properly designed product together correctly. If they do that, the possibility you will need a warranty at all is small.

So far, I've been able to have success, both buying computers and B/C's online as well as buying other items (drysuit, tanks, etc.) at the LDS.

Also, if you are going to buy the same stuff at the LDS and/or online, do you really think it was made to substantially different standards for the different purchase locations? I'm talking like for like purchases, of course.

Obviously, if you are talking buying brand X online vs brand Y at the LDS, other factors are present which merit consideration.

If you want warranty on line - just watch which brands you're getting, and who you are getting them from. It is possible to put together good stuff, with full warranty and good pricing. Just figure out what you want first!

WhatAnIdea:
Hello,

Thanks

This topic has been beat to death more than any other on this board. Search the general equipment forum for "internet", "online", "LeisurePro", etc. In general, everyone has had different experiences when buying online but a lot has to do with your needs and expectations. Buying at your LDS doesn't automatically imply that you are receiving good service or advice. As long as you aren't expecting something out of the internet experience, such as free set-up and use advice from your LDS, than this way can work also. If you aren't comfortable with buying from the net, don't. It will also depend on the amount of money you will be saving and how much the now unwarrentied parts could cost long term.

Some on-line dealers provide a full warranty equal to the manufacturers warranty. Read them carefully. The other thing to remember, to my knowledge, nobody has ever legally challenged the manufacturers that state they do not cover their gear when bought on-line. Point I'm making, that statement of theirs does not appear to hold water since they manufactured it, they are responsible for it.

As others have said, this is a topic that is beaten around on this board about once a week.

WhatAnIdea:
Hello,

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom