BC for Tall Woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can't seem to find a BC which fits me. I own a Sherwood Luna in size medium and it is short. The Luna was the best fitting of all women's BCs I tried including Ladyhawk. After reading the Triple-L thread, I ordered a Statos in size M, but it is huge in the waist and the chest strap hits me just below the neck. It is also short on me. My shoulder to waist is 21 inches, which on most size charts would be a men's medium or large, which are way too big in the body.

Can anyone recommend a BC (mens or womens) which will fit a long and slim torso? I'll probably have to do mailorder because I've already tried all the BCs in the 2 local dive shops here. That's where I got the Luna.

Thanks!

Try a Seaquest Libra - lots of adjustment.

Have you considered a backplate and wing setup? A number of manufacturers make backplates for tall bodied divers.

MSilvia:
Have you considered a backplate and wing setup? A number of manufacturers make backplates for tall bodied divers.

I think MSilva raised a good point. Another option might be Dive Rite's Transpac II.

Vie:
I think MSilva raised a good point. Another option might be Dive Rite's Transpac II.
TPII might be a good option, but getting the proper fit could require buying mismatched parts, like a size S TPII with size M/L shoulder straps. Using the backplate would be a better option IMHO, because the single piece of webbing used for the harness would be a lot more convenient and less costly to custom fit, any other advantages aside. If you go that route, you can do so confidant that it will fit correctly if properly set up.

MSilvia:
i am 6'6" and about 300# and just switched from a jacket bc to backplate and wings and will never go back. there is so much adjustment on it that it should be able to fit just about any body shape and none of the squeeze or pressure on the diaphram to hurt your breathing.

MSilvia:
if properly set up.

There are a lot of online resources for setting up backplates and wings, and scubaboard members are always helpful, but it's best if there was someone local who is familiar with a bp/w who can help you with adjustment and trim. This will maximize the benefit of the rig. If you don't want a simple webbing harness, you can check out Deep Sea Supply. They and FredT (who is on this board) have tall backplates.

I agree that the Dive Rite TransPac II is a good option as well. As MSilva notes, you will need to order different sized shoulder harness, back sections, and cumberbund to get the best fit. But that's one of the pluses of the system. Mix and match components to fit you. Here is their sizing. A Dive Rite dealer can fit you and order the appropriate size.

Another alternative is Zeagle's BCs. These are component based as well, and can be mixed and matched to meet your sizing needs. Larry (who frequents this board as well) from ScubaToys can help you out with sizing. From previous posts, I think that he will take care of shipping costs if you have to return it cause he was incorrect in his sizing for you. Of course, you should check with him on that to be sure though.

Lastly, you can get a custom BC. JetHarness is often discussed on this board.

In my short diving career, I have dove bp/w, TransPac II and a Zeagle Ranger. All work well, and you should try them if possible. Hopefully there is someone local that have these rigs and can let you try them. It's really hard to find the perfect BC based on people recommendations. Like all scuba equipment, the best you can do is get 2-3 good recommendations to narrow your choices, and then try them on yourself.

Good luck!

The Kracken:
Try a Seaquest Libra - lots of adjustment.

Thanks, I've tried on the Diva and the Libra. The medium is too short and the large is too big in the waist. I found as a general rule that BCs for tall women are sized as tall and chunky women. I'm not skinny, but I have a waist which is 10 inches smaller than my hips. The Libra ML which is long enough has a waist size of 33-47, which is 3 inches too large. What do tall, skinny men wear?

There just aren't enough size options for women!

MSilvia:
TPII might be a good option, but getting the proper fit could require buying mismatched parts, like a size S TPII with size M/L shoulder straps. Using the backplate would be a better option IMHO, because the single piece of webbing used for the harness would be a lot more convenient and less costly to custom fit, any other advantages aside. If you go that route, you can do so confidant that it will fit correctly if properly set up.

Can you use weight integration? I need to find a dealer for these -- not one in my area.

ae3753:
Another alternative is Zeagle's BCs. These are component based as well, and can be mixed and matched to meet your sizing needs. Larry (who frequents this board as well) from ScubaToys can help you out with sizing. From previous posts, I think that he will take care of shipping costs if you have to return it cause he was incorrect in his sizing for you. Of course, you should check with him on that to be sure though.

I have had a couple of email exchanges with Larry about the Zeagle Brigade. I used a Ranger in class and liked it (except the bladder is hard to empty). My LDS will sell me one for $849.00 -- Larry's Brigade is much more reasonable. Are the ripcord weights a hassle when traveling? It's pretty easy to stuff the weight pockets in the Sherwood.

I frequently travel to an Alabama quarry which sells DUI:

http://www.dui-online.com/bc_delta.htm

The Delta model looks like it has all the features I want and the manufacturer says it is fully adjustable.

I don't have a Dive Rite dealer in my location.

Thanks for your suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom