Questions on "Interchanging" / "Mix & Match" of their Backplates & Wings......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Restart

Contributor
Reaction score
Always read about members asking Questions on "Interchanging" / "Mix & Match" of their Backplates & Wings......

1. Is it safe to interchange bp & wing? Does it affected the system?

2. Which Backplate (Halcyon, DiveRite, Oxycheq, OMS etc...) can match the most Wings? Or which Wing can match the most Backplates?

I noticed that "OMS" and "DiveRite" have many holes & slots on their plates. "Halcyon" has the least holes & slots..... Please correct me if i am incorrect?

3. And is it a "standard industry practise" to have 11 inches spacing between holes on the plates?

Best Regards,
kit :wink:

1. Is it safe to interchange bp & wing? Does it affected the system?
Yes, No.

2. Which Backplate (Halcyon, DiveRite, Oxycheq, OMS etc...) can match the most Wings? Or which Wing can match the most Backplates?
DiveRite makes one wing without 11" centered holes (travel wing?). The rest all match each other fine.

I noticed that "OMS" and "DiveRite" have many holes & slots on their plates. "Halcyon" has the least holes & slots..... Please correct me if i am incorrect?
Correct. I don't find there is a need for multiple holes and I don't like the idea of slots.

3. And is it a "standard industry practise" to have 11 inches spacing between holes on the plates?
Yes

S&W Metal Products makes a plate called the Hammerhead. I believe it has 3 sets of holes spaced 11" apart so you can adjust the height of the STA relative to the backplate.

I know the Deep Sea Supply plate has a shallower bend angle which eliminates the need for an STA when used with their wing. I havn't used then plate and don't know if if works with other wings too.

Wing manuacturers only real "standard" is the 11 " spacing. Additional holes and slots are there to support other items in their production line. When I designed my plate I examined most of those "other items" from all the manufacturers and put in the features necessary to mount them, as well as the various placement of "STA-less" tank strap locations.

FT

kityip:
The additional holes (both on the BP and wings) are for trimming up the position of the wing and STA or bolts from doubles. Dont know or worry about why H hasnt got them, my DR and Zeagle plates both do and if i want to shake things up a bit i can by moving stuff up and down between the holes. The slot (at least those i have seen) are instead of the bottom hole, i guess in case you arent great at measuring distances and arent within tolerance of the normal 11-inch spacing.

Back
Top Bottom