Abysmal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have any comments on abysmal wings? I'm in the market for a doubles setup with backplate/wings and the works. However, it would appear the manufacturers to choose from are dive rite, oms, halcyon and abysmal. However, on the abysmal site there is no image and i've never seen anyone with one.

While we're on the topic, has anyone used standard backplate/webbing and also used either an IQ pack or the transpack? I'd like a good comparison of the two. I have a ranger and absolutely hate all the "stuff" out front. I'm going minimal this year and love the idea of the webbing. However, the IQ doesnt look TOO much more bulky and it looks easier to get out of.

Any thoughts? For those of you who use these configurations, what would you buy if dollars werent an issue and you could do it all again from the start.

Thanks

steve

Originally posted by wetman
what would you buy if dollars werent an issue and you could do it all again from the start.
BP/Harness/Halcyon wing... and if I felt like I needed to get rid of some more cash to catch up spending wise with the guys buying tech style BCs I could buy enough webbing to re-string the thing every year for the next 10~15 years... but then who re-strings them every year? Probably last me the rest of my life.

BTW... BP correctly rigged is super easy to get out of... a friend went diving with Shane and I on the boat and he had his IQ thing... after the dive we just popped out of our rigs on the surface and watched him struggle with his IQ thing... next day he calls up and said he couldn't sleep all night thinking about it so in the morning he went and bought a BP/harness/halcyon wing.

Oh yes, comments on abysmal wings... hmmmmm

Though I am sure that there are some wings out there that do perform abysmally it seems counter productive to start naming them... I would just say that Halcyon wings are not abysmal.

It is an unfortunate name isnt it.
Well... if one thinks about it from several angles converging conclusions begin to present themselves.

That aside, yes... a definite vote on my part for the Halcyon wing... but webbing is webbing and plates is plates.... well most plates is plates.... plastic doesn't count.... aluminum only counts half.

It is an unfortunate name isnt it.

I am currently leaning towards a halcyon setup. So thats one vote for halcyon.
And in a similar vein I've always been amused by the name of a company that manufacturers very nice electronic test instruments: Fluke :)

Re: "Halcyon Setup" I'd definitely stick with a Halcyon wing, but go with a FredT backplate and harness (and FredT STA if needed).

Roak

Halycon or Dive Rite is the way to go - Halycon, really....OMS IQ and Transpac 'look's cool - but in DIR-keeping, looking 'cool' doesn't cut it...its quality, simplicity and function. OMS looks neat, but it too gimmicky.....95% of all guys I know dive the Halycon rig...its like the Rolls Royce vs the BMW.

Halcyon and DiveRite are both very nice. The guys that I dive with use one or the other. After checking them both out, I choose the Halcyon wing. I use a DiveRite BP or a Delta Air Lines Special BP (we made it in the shops). Shhh, don't tell.

Webbing is pretty much webbing. I was looking at the transpac for a very short while, and decided against it. I also looked at getting one of the webbing kits from Halcyon, but again, decided against it. I went to a marine supply store and bought a 125ft roll for around $80. Yeah, I know, what the hell do I need 125ft for. Damn Guiness gave me a beer belly from hell. LOL. Just kidding, I bought that and split the cost among a few friends, and we all have enough webbing to do two or three harnesses each.

Buy a wing from AUL, $30.00, and webbing, $10.00 for 20 ft, and a OMS wing from NW scuba, $175.00. I am not affilated with any of these shops but just the good deals I found.

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom