About FredT backplates & are they compatible with Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPhantomas

Reaction score
I guess I'll get a direct answer from FredT as well here, but still I want to hear from people using it.
I am about to buy a full Halcyon gear. After reading some of the threads here, seems that the FredT BP is a good and cheaper alternative.
Is this really 100% compatible? Any problems combining them?

If you mean, are the slots compatible - Then I think the answer is yes. Fred T makes a mean BP.

Eric

I mean compatible in any form.

May be the question is if anybody had any kind of problem of difficulty trying to put them together, and won't be there if had bought the original Halcyon BP. I would use Halcyon Harness and try to get the new SS buckles anyway.

And, appart from the price, are there any other pros in using FredT's BP?

All you need for the harness is about 15 feet of webbing, 5 D-rings, 2 weight keepers, some inner tube for the back-up lights. Use a seperate piece for the crotch strap.

Eric

I have the Halcyon BP pad and all the holes lined up just fine. Beast has the ACB weight pockets and they line up just fine. I know that's not 100% Halcyon but it's part of it.

FWIW, Dive Rite wings work just fine. Fred pretty much designed the BP for a universal fit for all brands.

the fredT is made out of a better quality of stainless. The halcyon is not as good, but it is clear coated. I dislike coatings, I think they eventually get scratched or pitted, which traps water, and then you have a worse problem. Fundamentally, neither plate will ever fail because it's rusted out, but it's something to think about.

I know this could be a politically tough question for some to answer, but I would be *very* grateful for some advice on this!

For some time I have wanted to trade in my beloved, but "floppy" Ranger for a BP...and now the time has come.

I have read a lot of posts praising both FredT's and Halcyon's BPs. I take pride in my gear and really take care of it...habits I picked-up I guess having spent 12 years in the Marine Corps.

The point is I like to buy "it right/the best" the first time (even if that sometimes requires waiting a bit). As I said I now would like to purchase a BP and wing system and would really appreciate learning from your greater experiences. (" If I had it to do over I would get..." kind of thing).

Who in your opinion makes the "best" Stainless Steel BP in terms of function, non-corrosive, finished product?

What about harness and wings?

As I said I know this can become political and I don't want to create any problems...I am sure both are very good...just wondering which of the two you would choose if you could have either and how you would complete them.

My e-mail address is: jm5557@yahoo.com if you would feel more comfortable. I promise to keep anything sent me 100% confidential.

Thank you *very* much!
Semper
Jon

Well I have a Halcyon backplate, harness, and 36lb Pioneer wing, and both models of FredT's STAs. Judging by the quality of the STAs Fred makes, and the fact I had to buy a file today to smooth a sharp edge on my Halcyon backplate that is cutting the webbing in half where it goes through one slot, as a consumer I'd be looking at Fred's SS gear before Halcyons. I also think Fred uses a more corrosion resistant grade of SS than Halcyon - who clearcoat their plates to add corrosion resistance, which is cheaper. Plus Fred makes several versions to suit different sized divers and different weighting requirements.

A harness is a harness is a harness for the most part. You don't have to pay what Halcyon asks for them. :)

The Pioneer wing is fantastic. You have to pay what Halcyon asks for them. :(

for the college of Chemistry at U of Florida, so I know when I see QUALITY. While the other backplates are fine and adequate, I have yet to see the craftsmanship found in a Fred-T backplate in ANY OTHER PIECE OF DIVING EQUIPMENT. THe Fred-meister just has it DOWN. You simply can not go wrong and I would recommend buying his harness kit to boot. I wish I had, but sometimes doing things the hard way has it's rewards.

As for wings, I got a single bladder 55# OMS that is just GREAT from

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/bc_stuff/catalog_bc.html

I think I only paid $170 or so... I hope this helps!!!

BTW, I think it was Lost Yooper that led me to how to set it up... actually, many can send you in the right direction when the time comes.

I own both Halcyon and FredT backplates. I see no reason to pay a premium for the Halcyon logo! Go with a FredT.

In fact, depending on what kind of diving you're doing and how much weight you typically have on your belt, you may want to opt for the heavy FredT backplate. Halcyon does not offer such a plate.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom