SP Rectek & SP Ladyhawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwc_chua

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I've read some of the previous postings regarding back floation BCs.

My gf is currently using the Rectek BC and she finds it uncomfortable and hence she is contemplating to change to a jacket style BC. She finds herself being pushed forward even though she has deflated the BC so much so that her face is touching the water. Some have commented that the Rectek provides too much lift for a female.

I'm just wondering if the Ladyhawk BC would be a better choice?

I believe quite some female members are using the Ladyhawk BC and they have given it the thumbs up.

Could someone comment on whether a change to the Ladyhawk would help or would changing to a jacket style BC say the SeaQuest Pro QD would be better?

Thanks.

The statement "too much lift for a female" doesn't make any sense to me [but hey, that's just me :wink:].

What type of tank(s) is your girlfriend using?
Is the problem as bad at the beginning of the dive (ie full tank)?
Where is she wearing her weights?

Do you know that there is another aircell for that harness?
The TravTek aircell has 29# of lift, which seems ideal for single tank (especially Alu), warm water diving.

Mark.

If I get the TravTek aircell, it would be as good as getting a new BC.

she uses the 'nomal' type of tank.

she wears 2 weights on her belt and four in the intergrated weight pouch.

problem occurs at beginning of dive.

i'm thinking of switching her BC to the LadyHawk or SeaQuest Libra.

Originally posted by DuckDive
The statement "too much lift for a female" doesn't make any sense to me [but hey, that's just me :wink:].

What type of tank(s) is your girlfriend using?
Is the problem as bad at the beginning of the dive (ie full tank)?
Where is she wearing her weights?

Do you know that there is another aircell for that harness?
The TravTek aircell has 29# of lift, which seems ideal for single tank (especially Alu), warm water diving.

Mark.

Originally posted by mwc_chua
If I get the TravTek aircell, it would be as good as getting a new BC.
Not quite - the travtek aircell 'only' costs about $200. But yeah, that does go a long way towards a new BC.

I have heard good reports about floating with a travtek aircell, using a single tank. I think it all has to do with the shape of the bladder and how the air distributes. The rektek aircell seems more suited to doubles.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Mark.

Have her strap about 5 lbs of her weight on the bottom of the tank itself. They have cheap straps to do this with. That should stop the problem of pushing her forward. Also try putting more weight on the belt instead of in the BC. And put them on her back so it wont pull down on the front of her.

And the Rec wing is in my opinion to big of a wing for a single "NORMAL" Aluminum 80. I use a Dive Rite Trans Pac2 with a Trek wing. But it sit's in the truck more often now that I've went with backplate and harness. I use a 27lb Halcyon for everything. For doubles I use a 45 or 55 lb wing.

Try the weight on the tank. If it works get her a smaller wing. That way she can swap them out if she ever wants to go to doubles. Or get her a Halcyon set up. Once she gets it set up she'll never go back to standard BC's.

Thanks for the tip.

Another problem which I did not raise earlier was that she was titled to one side constantly. It seemed like the wing did not open correctly. I'm wondering if it is due to the cord which is supposed to reduce drag. Would removing it help?

You can try it. But it will wrap around the tank because those are pretty big cells. I think they are 55lb lift. The trek was a little smaller at 45lb or so. If it's a constant tilting to the same side. Shift some of the weight to the other side. Till she's stable.

I bet if you go with the travel wing and the 5lb weight on the tank she wouldn't have any problems. See if a store in your area will let you try either a small wing that fits or a backplate and harness with a small wing. If she's gonna keep that BC, which there is no reason not to, I'd try to get another wing for her. If she likes it you can steal her wing and put it on a backplate for doubles for yourself.

I'm not real familure with the Rec tec bc myself. But all Back inflates try to push you forward unless you have a heavy tank or a weight back there near the bottom of the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom