testing new BP/W system in pool before trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am planning to buy my new BP/W set (Halcyon Eclipse with 6#SS plate) in a diving exhibition on Tuesday. Should I rent a tank and weights and test out my gear in the pool so that I can get an idea of the weight I'll be needing on my next dive trip?

Does the weight belt need to be positioned a bit higher? Do I have to extend my legs/arms?

I keep reading about diving with your head down. Can someone clarify what that really means and what it's effects are?

Regards,

Jalal

I pretty sure it means just that... diving with a head down attitude... depending on how your weight yourself you can change the way your body is positioned in the water (for instance level, feet low, or head low)....

As far as testing it you should be able to calculate "approximately" how much weight you will need... course it never hurts to get a few dives under your belt with new gear.... remember, every time you change gear your buoyancy characteristics will change.... and remember in a pool you will not be properly weighted for salt water so you will have to add a few pounds....

Diver,
It is an excellent practice to do a trial dive in a pool any time you make a change in your diving gear configuration that may have an impact upon your buoyanct/trim aspect. It can eliminate numerous unwanted surprises.

There's no better way, in my opinion, to determine before hand what will occur during your dive. Having completed a trial dive in a pool will also allow you to adjust your required weighting to dive in salt water. I think the multiplier for additional required weight for going from fresh water to salt is 1.3, others may want to jump in here if my number is off.

But basically, get your buoyancy/trim done in the pool and multiply your ditchable weight by 1.3 to get your salt water ditchable weight requirements.

Once again, if that factor is off, someone please correct me.

the K

it's 3 % more buoyant force so the factor is 1.03.

Now i read the Halcyon online User manual and it says that continuous use in chlorinated or chemically treated water isn't good for the inner bladder. Should I be testing it in a pool?

Stryker,
Where in the Middle East are you moving to?

Manama, Bahrain.... I THINK tahts not too far from the UAE right?

Nah not far. How long are you going to be staying there? What aircraft do you fly?

Jalal

Fergittin a zero can really be a big screw up !!!!

An occasional dip won't hurt it. Just make sure that you rinse it good in the tub or hose it off very good.

Don't forget to rinse INSIDE the bladder, too.

When I rinse the inside of my bladder I always add a cap full of mouthwash. Helps control bacteria.

diver371:
Nah not far. How long are you going to be staying there? What aircraft do you fly?

Jalal
I dont fly for the navy right now (yet).... I will be stationed out there for anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half.... If I get picked up for flight school it will only be 6 months....*fingers crossed*

diver371:
Hey all,

I am planning to buy my new BP/W set (Halcyon Eclipse with 6#SS plate) in a diving exhibition on Tuesday. Should I rent a tank and weights and test out my gear in the pool so that I can get an idea of the weight I'll be needing on my next dive trip?

Does the weight belt need to be positioned a bit higher? Do I have to extend my legs/arms?

I keep reading about diving with your head down. Can someone clarify what that really means and what it's effects are?

Regards,

Jalal

I echo the advice about testing your gear in a pool not only for finding your optimum weight but, more importantly, to familiarize yourself with the gear. I recently switched to a BP/W (Halcyon Pioneer system) and found that the weights are easy to calculate (just take 5-6 lbs off from your "normal" weighting).

What is important is to practice buoyancy control with the wing. The Eclipse (and Pioneer) has a round bladder so the air moves depending your position. If you use the inflator like you would a vest BCD, make sure you're slightly to full upright position (...seat belts and tray tables stored :wink: ... sorry). More importantly, learn how to dump air using the lower dump valve ... like doing a head first descent and dumping the air via the lower dump.

As for diving with your head down??, I don't know what that means aside from the factors above (using the inflator or the lower dump valve). At the surface, you will tend pitch forward when fully inflating the wing if you're using a single tank (I haven't tried it with a double). You can always swim with on your back (haven't tried that one yet). You can also move some weight off your belt to your tank using a trim weight pocket and that offsets the tendency to pitch forwad. Obviously, you lose the ability to dump that weight in emergencies but...

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom