How-to question? One grommet for the pocket please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoadWarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
One little grommet to run a retractor through sure would be nice.

How do you do it? How do you punch the hole? How do you keep the hole from fraying? Where do you get the grommets in something non-corrosive. Is it easy to do? What are the risks?

Thx, dj

Cetacea makes both pin-mounted retractors and a pin-mount D-ring. There's a thin pin with threads that you just poke through the material and screw into the body of the D-ring or retractor mount.

I use one screwed onto my shoulder strap in the position which places the SPG so the hose routes nicely and it easily visible.

Charlie99:
Cetacea makes both pin-mounted retractors and a pin-mount D-ring. There's a thin pin with threads that you just poke through the material and screw into the body of the D-ring or retractor mount.

I use one screwed onto my shoulder strap in the position which places the SPG so the hose routes nicely and it easily visible.

Okay, that could work. I checked it out on their web site. That setup puts the retractor on the outside doesn't it? I would like to have the retactor hidden inside the pocket.

dj

Djanni,
Determine what size hole you want and locate and purchase an acceptable grommet set.

To put the hole in the pocket in a fashion that will prevent fraying do the following:
Get a piece of copper tubing pipe with an outside diameter the same as the body of your grommet. Fashion a block of wood the approximate size of the interior of your pocket. Place the pocket over the block of wood. Locate and mark where you want your hole to be. By some method heat the end of the copper tube until it is glowing (making sure to insulate the tube so that you don't get a wee bit too much heat in your hand) and then use the tube to burn a locating hole in the pocket for your grommet. This will create a nice, clean hole and at the same time sear the periphery to keep it from fraying.
Remove the pocket from the block, insert the grommet setter on the block, replace the pocket and complete the grommet installation process.

Use a soldering gun to make the hole. It eliminates the fraying and you can control the size of the hole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom