Oxycheq Mach V vs. DSS ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spschneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Which DSS wing for Singles would be equivalent to (or better than) the Oxycheq Mach V. I'm especially asking about the compactness / streamlining / resistance to "tacoing":confused:. Especially, if you've tried both, which was "better"...

Looking at the Oxycheq Mach V in these pics
I'm really impressed with it, and all the treads I've seen here have indicated the DSS and Oxycheq are basically equivalent(and VERY HIGH) in quality. They also seem to be the most affordable, and best supported / liked wings... I just can't tell from the DSS web-site what the differences are between the various single tank wings.

Specifically, looking for ~30# lift, STA-less design, primarily recreational, but having some trim issues with my Zeagle Ranger...I'm thinking the BP/W will help with more weight higher up on my torso...I'm 6'6" and have very lean (and long) legs which tend to sink. Also, I'm a WWW (warm water Wimp) so I'm not interested in 5/7MM suits for bouyancy or warmth and live in Fl so most of my diving ends up being in 3MM or less.

Thanks

The DSS 26# Torus looks closest to the Mach V. I love the way the Mach V is made, plus I prefer a zipper. You might want a long BP, so the waist strap is low enough on your torso.

evad:
The DSS 26# Torus looks closest to the Mach V. I love the way the Mach V is made, plus I prefer a zipper. You might want a long BP, so the waist strap is low enough on your torso.

Definitely planning on a long BP...(that's why I'm asking about the DSS...Tobin has pretty nice deals on BP/W/Hog combo's on his site). He makes it real easy to configure on there too....

Steve

Both the Torus and Mach V are low profile, narrow, single donuts.

There are differences. Search around on the board. There have been comparisons of the 2 wings and the manufacturers.

Post the question in the DSS forum.

Splitlip:
..... Search around on the board. There have been comparisons of the 2 wings and the manufacturers.

Actually, I did (spent 2-3 days reading almost all threads about BP/w & DSS/Oxycheq(guess how many of these there were):11:...

Most boiled down to: "I got great service from Tobin" (definitely a plus factor for DSS):D and "Oxycheq is terrific" / "DSS is terrific"..."DSS is great"/"Oxycheq is great":popcorn:...but without a much in the way of specific reasons why one is preferred over the other for a certain type of diving...

I did get one difference of the type I'm looking for... The Oxycheq Extreme has a very tough outer covering, which is great if you're diving in a highly abrasive/sharp edges type of environment (e.g. caves, wrecks). I'm not planning on that type of diving (primarly recreational ... reefs, drifts, etc) for the foreseeable future...therefor, I've eliminated that model due to its added costs for a feature I'm not interested in...thus the (regular) Mach V vs the DSS (don't know which model is equivalent?)

Steve

The Torus has more bias to the lower protion of the wing than the Mach V.
The DSS corregated hose is centered on top of the wing. The Mach V comes off the left.
The Oxycheq's inner bladder is user accessable for inspection and repairs with a 360 degree zipper in the outer shell. The DSS bladder is sewn inside the shell. If it needs repair, it must be sent to DSS.
The DSS wing system is designed to pop off the plate for cleaning and packing without removing nuts or unthreading the cam straps. This system works best with a DSS plate and may not work as well with other plates.
The Mach V has drain grommets, the DSS has mesh drains.
The Mach V has a 25 mil inner bladder. Torus 22 mil.
The 2 wings come in different lift capacities.
The mounting grommets are different.
The outer shell of the Extreme version of the Mach V very sturdy.

Above are some of the non subjective comments that I recall from the threads. Lots more comments of a subjective nature.

I own a Mach V. I have never used a DSS wing.

Maybe it's just an East coast / West coast thing.

Thanks Splitlip..that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for...now, I (along with everyone else seeing this thread) will be able to figure out how important these things are to my kind of diving....Your post is what makes this board so valuable....I just couldn't distill it into those specifics (too much "noise" in the data)...even tho' the search feature did provide all those results containing all those items.

Thanks again

Steve

spschneer:
Thanks Splitlip..that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for...now, I (along with everyone else seeing this thread) will be able to figure out how important these things are to my kind of diving....Your post is what makes this board so valuable....I just couldn't distill it into those specifics (too much "noise" in the data)...even tho' the search feature did provide all those results containing all those items.

Thanks again

Steve

Some of those threads were long and got pretty heated. Some times it was difficult to identify facts or even opinions about the products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom