Going from 36lbs w. drysuit to 3mm wetsuit. How much can I take off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinoD'Voe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to dive in a 3/2 full suit tomorrow and this is going to be the first time in anything other than a drysuit. I've been using 36lbs with my trilam, what would be a comfortable weight with the wetsuit??

You really need to do a proper weight check -- it's truly an apples-to-oranges thing.

If you can't do the weight check up front, you could always do the thing that some people vetch about -- get yourself to be just at eye level (neutrally buoyant), on the surface, when vertical, with a full tank. Then add 5 lbs (if diving an AL80)

There's nothing bad/evil about this -- the air in it weighs about 6 pounds total. If you're starting with a nominal 3000 PSI fill, and your end state (back at the surface) is 500 PSI (the target for most people, for normal rec diving), you will have used up 5/6 of the air -- 5 pounds. So, neutral at the surface with a full tank, plus 5 additional pounds of weight, will result in you being neutral at the surface at the end of the dive (when your tank weighs 5 pounds less).

If you're diving something other than an AL80, the same idea applies -- you want to compensate for the delta weight, the air used up. There are some online references for tanks that tell you the buoyancy empty (0 psi) vs full (whatever PSI the tank is nominally rated for).

Back
Top Bottom