Is the water warm? Can I jump in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there. Have been meaning to register for some time and finally gotten around to it. Bit nervous about posting first time, so please be gentle with me!

By the way, just wondered if anyone could help me out with a query. I'm about to buy a new BCD and am loathe to make another expensive mistake. I've been mostly diving with a Tigullio TS2 Hover and really don't like it coz it's so heavy and bulky (creating a drag when surface swimming and in my luggage :wink: ). I've tried a couple of simpler ScubaPro jackets and felt much more free inwater, but these weren't specifically designed for women (which is what I'd like now). I've also tried out a Halcyon, which I thought was great but think it might cause some problems if I progress to instructor, as I'm hoping to do eventually, due to having quite a different kit design from that used by most students where I've been working.

I've got my eye on a SeaQuest Eva, which I like for its simple design and compactness (is that a word?). Unfortunately, I haven't found anywhere that will let me try before I buy. Has anyone used one regularly who could identify potential problems with this BCD?

I know that SeaQuest have updated the model to a Diva, but I'm not keen on buying another BCD with a semi-wing design and don't like the look of the inner-bodice thingy - I'd like to keep things simple and as I've never had a problem with where shoulder straps are positioned, I don't think I really need any padding in this particular area (blush).

Also, what's the deal on "extra lift". I seem to find this advertised as a feature on a lot of BCDs I've been viewing online and embarassed to say that I'm not sure what it's for. I'm not a very big girl and don't carry a lot of lead, nor do I believe in trying to lift objects or other divers with my own BCD, so is there a need for this in my case?

All info gratefully received. Looking forward to meeting all you guys.
Cheers!

PS: Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place - like I say: be gentle with me, I'm new. :05:

Yes.... the water is always warm here :) Welcome to the scuba board.

There are many BCD's that are made for women. I just got one for my wife from Oceanic. it's the Oceanic Isla model. She seems to love it. It's streamlined and completely adjustable for where you need it to be. I would check those out too. We sell them.... so if you have any questions just give us a ring :) good luck.

Welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

Click [thread=91105]here[/thread] for ScubaBoard 101: [thread=91105]A beginner's guide to the ScubaBoard.Com forums[/thread].

Don’t forget to fill out your Public Profile (and Dive Info) on one of your next surface intervals so we can get to know you a little bit better. Besides, it will make it easier for us to answer your questions. Please, do add a Profile Pic. If you’re not in a particularly creative mood, you can have a look at my Public Profile for inspiration.

Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and weight systems

Any other questions? Just click this link: Send me a PM!

Laurens

This message brought to you by GreetBot R/2 :D

Hi ya Shiver. Being a guy, I can't help you with your BC question..sorry

anyway, good luck with your search and good diving

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Hi Shiver,

Being a bloke I haven't any actual experience of ladies BCDs. (Dresses and high heals are a different matter, but now is not the time nor place for details!). I was speaking to the lady who runs my LDS the other day (I was trying on a TUSA Platina Evolution), she swears by the TUSA Selene. She is quite short and curvaceous and apparantly the Selene, like the Platina has multiple points that you can connect the straps to. This allows her maximum options for comfort.

Divernet Review
Official TUSA page

Hope that helps, being in the market for a BCD myself, I know how difficult it can be to make a decision.

It doesn't matter what you buy, as long as it fits you well and you're comfortable in it. My first BC was a SeaQuest Diva which I hated after only about 6 dives. I made the mistake of listening to other people's recommendations and basically only trying that BC prior to purchase. Once I realized how it wasn't the right BC, I started trying on everything I could....didn't matter if it was a men's or women's BC, I tried it on.

One day I tried on the Zeagle Zena and knew instantly that THIS was the right BC. For me is has all the features I want without anything extra. It is a very simple back-inflate BC without a lot of do-dads that drive me insane. The weight pockets are on the sides and there's nothing in front or under my arms to encumber me. I've since put almost 50 dives on my Zena and can't wait to put another 500!! :D

If your LDS doesn't carry a BC that you want to try on, give Larry at ScubaToys a holler. He's been well known to send a couple of items at a time out for people to try for size and fit.

Back
Top Bottom