Good BC for a new, 13 year-old diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ippy01

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My 13 year old son is working on his Junior certification. He is 5'2" and about 100 lbs. Any good suggestions for a BC? We travel a lot, so I would like something light/easy to pack -- and simple/easy to use. Also, I'd rather avoid spending the big bucks given that he is growing like a weed (he has an 8 year brother who will "inherit" anything I buy for his brother....so, I do want to get something with decent quality).

Thanks for any suggestions!

ippy01:
Also, I'd rather avoid spending the big bucks given that he is growing like a weed (he has an 8 year brother who will "inherit" anything I buy for his brother....so, I do want to get something with decent quality).

Thanks for any suggestions!

I'd go with something slightly used - or "pre-dived" to take a cue from car dealers. As you say, he's growing quickly so it's possible you won't even get one dive season out of it.

Further, don't assume the 8yr old will even inherit the desire to dive! If he does, and can use the gear, that's great. But I wouldn't let the choice of what to buy for the 13yr old be influenced by the assumption the 8yr old will get/use the gear too.

Heck - do the math on renting. If you're just talking about dive vacations, etc, for one season may be cheaper to rent than to "buy and replace."

you could also go with a modular system that would allow you to change out parts in the future to fit his size.

Zeagle BCD's if I understand correctly are built this way as are BP/Wing rigs - (start with a small plate, then just replace the plate when he outgrows it)

Either would also work for your 8 yr. old in time.

Aloha, Tim

Or get a BCD that will gro with him. Have him try on a Zeagle Concept II. It's the most configurable/expandable Zeagle BCD. A SMALL will probably last him until he's about 150 lbs

I got my 13 year old daughter an oxy bp/w and she does great with it.

I think that DIve Rite has a program for teens..... you buy one BC and you can upgrade it for free until they are 17 or 18. Check with your Dive RIte Dealer.

I think that Phil at www.divesports.com sells the TransPac II with wing, harness, weight pockets, crotch strap, and cam buckles for a really smokin' price. Check with him and he can tell you about the Dive Rite deal

My son's first BC was a back inflate Seaquest Balance (he was 12 when certified) and it worked out well for him. He has a Dive Rite Transpac now and uses my Venture wing when we go diving. Since he was already used to a back inflate BC (instead of a jacket) the Transpac was an easy transition for him. Good luck.

My son began diving at 10. After one year with an XS Scubapro classic that was still too large, I moved him to a bp/w. He started with a small plate. As he grew, I adjusted the harness. At 14 and 5'6", he has almost outgrown the small plate, so in the next year I'll get a full sized one and re-rig with new webbing. Nothing else needs to be changed and for three and half years he's had a bc that has fit him perfectly.

BP/W may be a good choice. I also recently have seen a BC made by Seasoft (Ithink I got that name right) that is extremely adjustable and would probably fit him until it wears out.

BP/W may be you best option. He will grow into it and will never outgrow it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom