Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good BC for a new, 13 year-old diver?

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Good BC for a new, 13 year-old diver?

My 13 year old son is working on his Junior certification. He is 5'2" and about 100 lbs. Any good suggestions for a BC? We travel a lot, so I would like something light/easy to pack -- and simple/easy to use. Also, I'd rather avoid spending the big bucks given that he is growing like a weed (he has an 8 year brother who will "inherit" anything I buy for his brother....so, I do want to get something with decent quality).

Thanks for any suggestions!

RJP
    Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by ippy01
    Also, I'd rather avoid spending the big bucks given that he is growing like a weed (he has an 8 year brother who will "inherit" anything I buy for his brother....so, I do want to get something with decent quality).

Thanks for any suggestions!
    I'd go with something slightly used - or "pre-dived" to take a cue from car dealers. As you say, he's growing quickly so it's possible you won't even get one dive season out of it.

Further, don't assume the 8yr old will even inherit the desire to dive! If he does, and can use the gear, that's great. But I wouldn't let the choice of what to buy for the 13yr old be influenced by the assumption the 8yr old will get/use the gear too.

Heck - do the math on renting. If you're just talking about dive vacations, etc, for one season may be cheaper to rent than to "buy and replace."
    Follow me for a marketing professional's perspective on the dive industry... or a dive professional's perspective on the marketing industry:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AquisMarketing
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/AquisStrategicMarketing
    Articles: http://www.aquismarketing.com/new-blog-1/

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    you could also go with a modular system that would allow you to change out parts in the future to fit his size.

Zeagle BCD's if I understand correctly are built this way as are BP/Wing rigs - (start with a small plate, then just replace the plate when he outgrows it)

Either would also work for your 8 yr. old in time.

Aloha, Tim
    "Duty is ours, consequences are Gods" J.Q. Adams
    ----------------------------

http://www.alohashoredivers.com

IDC Staff Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Or get a BCD that will gro with him. Have him try on a Zeagle Concept II. It's the most configurable/expandable Zeagle BCD. A SMALL will probably last him until he's about 150 lbs

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I got my 13 year old daughter an oxy bp/w and she does great with it.

Regular of the Pub

snarky commentor

Photos
    I think that DIve Rite has a program for teens..... you buy one BC and you can upgrade it for free until they are 17 or 18. Check with your Dive RIte Dealer.

I think that Phil at www.divesports.com sells the TransPac II with wing, harness, weight pockets, crotch strap, and cam buckles for a really smokin' price. Check with him and he can tell you about the Dive Rite deal

Registered

is a true
    "gear junkie"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    My son's first BC was a back inflate Seaquest Balance (he was 12 when certified) and it worked out well for him. He has a Dive Rite Transpac now and uses my Venture wing when we go diving. Since he was already used to a back inflate BC (instead of a jacket) the Transpac was an easy transition for him. Good luck.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    My son began diving at 10. After one year with an XS Scubapro classic that was still too large, I moved him to a bp/w. He started with a small plate. As he grew, I adjusted the harness. At 14 and 5'6", he has almost outgrown the small plate, so in the next year I'll get a full sized one and re-rig with new webbing. Nothing else needs to be changed and for three and half years he's had a bc that has fit him perfectly.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

BP/W may be a good choice. I also recently have seen a BC made by Seasoft (Ithink I got that name right) that is extremely adjustable and would probably fit him until it wears out.

Registered

wants to shore dive. PM me.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    BP/W may be you best option. He will grow into it and will never outgrow it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast