How come BP/W cost $600+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the sport and recently purchased a Seaquest Balance with an Airsource without doing due dilligence at $649. From the posting I read, I may have been better off buying a plate/wing combo, which I'm considering.

Even though I like my Balance, the plastics and nylon on that BC shouldn't have run more than $250. I know R&D and Marketing have to account for the small market and can command a high premium, but how can a steel plate with $15 webbing and a bladder coast $675?

I appreciate if you could shed some light on this as I'm considering switching to a BP/W.

What is the comfort level when wearing a blackplate with straps on bare skin on land, say walking to a beach dive.

Should I stick with my Balance for now as I don't intend on technical diving? My main goal is to seamline my BC a bit more.

Thanks again,

Balance is a good BC though. I have one and it feels very sturdy. I got my first BP/W the other day in an attempt to better streamline. Ya, the costs are crazy. $350 for the plate and harness, and another $350 for the air cell! Hope this thing has gold plating! :D

Do a little more shopping. You can get a plate and webbing for under $150 and a wing for about $200 to $250.

http://scubatoys.com/store/search_r...Search=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=backplate
scubatoys has a Dive Rite plate for $65

http://scubatoys.com/store/search_r...omSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=webbing
Dive Rite basic harness $42

http://scubatoys.com/store/search_r...tFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=wing
OxyCheq 30#lift wing $225

Total $332 Minus a 10% discount for scubaboard members.

scuba_moron:
Even though I like my Balance, the plastics and nylon on that BC shouldn't have run more than $250. I know R&D and Marketing have to account for the small market and can command a high premium, but how can a steel plate with $15 webbing and a bladder coast $675?

That is because steel is the new gold. :D

Why a BP/W costs that much? Well, most probably because the market is willing to pay, and is paying for it. Same goes for any BC out there.

I use a BP/W, recently switched, and I'd never go back now. It's up to you, there's nothing wrong with your Balance either. If you really want to get a BP/W, I'm sure you'll be able to justify it somehow to yourself. :14:

Ice9:
Ya, the costs are crazy. $350 for the plate and harness, and another $350 for the air cell! Hope this thing has gold plating! :D
\

You got robbed back there. I got my complete rig for 450 USD + shipping, brand new.

scuba_moron:
What is the comfort level when wearing a blackplate with straps on bare skin on land, say walking to a beach dive.

Comfortable, Easy to wear, Better than a Jacket because it fits perfect after adjustments. And this is only my opinion. Never had an issue with or without a Suit or Rash guard.

As for price, shop around. DSS makes a great unit, so do others.
Buy a plate of ebay. Its not like they go bad.
As for any other item on the market, you have to pay to play.

Ditto... I paid $65 for a plate, $40 for a STA, and $225 for a good wing.

As for the expense of the plate, a lot of the cost is in the machining set up.

evil_xander:
You got robbed back there. I got my complete rig for 450 USD + shipping, brand new.

Well, that was the sticker price.. What I actually got was:

TransPlate Harness and SS Backplate
2x Large Weight Pockets
Crotch Strap
Rec Wing

Total: $638

So although I may have gotten screwed a bit, its not as bad as it first seems :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom