Save a Dive Kit for BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just purchased a BP/W setup this winter and I love the feel much better than the jacket style Pro QD I had before. I use a SS backplate, wing, and STA. On a dive this weekend the tank started to feel kind of floppy on my back late in the dive. As I got back to the dock it was all but falling off. After some help from my dive buddy I got set up on the dock and realized that the wing nut on the top bolt had fallen off so the STA and consequently the tank itself was only held onto the backplate by the bottom bolt. I ended up removing the STA and threading the tank straps through the backplate in order to do a second dive. I have since added a couple of bolts and wing nuts to my save a dive kit and will make sure I check the wing nuts before my dives.

Can anyone else suggest anything they've discovered as helpful to put in their save a dive kit related to their BP/W?

I've never found it necessary to carry any "save a dive" kit items for my BP/W. One of the nice things about a BP/W is it's ruggedness and simplicity. If you don't already have them, torque your wing nuts down on a SS lockwasher, that should help to prevent any more incidents like the one you had.

I think the problem is that the top bolt for the dive rite setup is not long enough to use a lock washer.

I think the problem is that the top bolt for the dive rite setup is not long enough to use a lock washer.

That's true. But even with the lock washer in place (ala the bottom wing nut), it still work itself loose. Other divers use blue loctite and for me, I just give it a twist beginning of each dive as part of my equipment chick. For what it's worth, my wing nuts haven't worked themselves out after the first several dives when the setup was just breaking in.

I just looked at a DiveRite SS plate, I don't know what length bolt it comes with but you can add one long enough to accomodate a lock washer and wingnut, as a matter of fact the owner of the plate I saw did just that. I'd recommend it, beats the hell out of the possibility of it loosening up on you again.

one method would be to make sure you DONT use SS bolts, they will rust and seize, you never have to worry about them coming undone on their own . . . :D

J/K go to lowes or the local marine store, pick up a slightly longer SS bolt and SS lock washer widget, problem solved.

Thanks guys. I may try a slightly longer bolt. I just don't want it to be so long that it starts stabbing me in the back.

Thanks guys. I may try a slightly longer bolt. I just don't want it to be so long that it starts stabbing me in the back.

The bolt doesn't have to be too long, measure the depth of that channel it sits in and get a bolt slightly shorter.

if it is to long, find someone with a saw that can cut it, either you using a hack saw or a bandsaw, you get the point . . . you can cut them down to the right length if they are to long...

The bolt doesn't have to be too long, measure the depth of that channel it sits in and get a bolt slightly shorter.

I like the cutting it option better, it's not like I am saying to dive with a brass bolt snap :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom