dual tank BCD'S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gyellow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

I have a question about running a dual tank setup. I have never ever thought nor talked to anyone about a dual tank setup and I have no clue how they work. I know it cant be too confusing and I was wondering how they regulator setup works with a dual tank setup and also the BCD? you obviously need a dual tank bcd and I have yet to find one. Also what are the advantages to a dual tank setup besides more air? if your bottom time can only be so long then what is the point of a dual tank setup? thank you for the help in advance..

Gregg

I know the oceanic excursion is a BC is one that can supposedly handle doubles (with an adapter). Though many on here will say that its inferior to the backplate & wing (BP/W) setup for doubles.

Any website intented on DIR will describe you how to set up a twin gear. This for example DIR-diver.com - Equipment. I use doubles for their redundancy, more gas, better weight distribution, better handling with valves and other parts and so on. When you want to dive with doubles, you shold follow DIR phylosophy. As for me it is the best way how to use this kind of gear properly.

crap double post

I was wondering how they regulator setup works with a dual tank setup and also the BCD?

you will need two first stage regulators, one for each tank (even though they are connected by a manifold). in essence, your octo (i.e. emergency reg) will be connected to a separate first stage, instead of having two second stages connected to a single first stage as you do for OW.

this is what a double setup with two first stages (one on each tank) looks like:

hosekit_doubles_tanks.jpg

some BC's are made to accommodate double tanks, but most people who dive doubles will use a backplate and wings setup. the backplate looks like this:

deluxeharness.gif

and behind it you will mount your air bladder (i.e. the "wing"), which looks something like this:

niordlar.jpg

Also what are the advantages to a dual tank setup besides more air?

because you have two first stages (one on each tank), you can deal with a first stage failure. i.e. if one of the first stages fails, you can switch to the other one, isolate the tanks, and terminate the dive.

in OW, if your first state fails, that's it. you don't have a backup first stage

if your bottom time can only be so long then what is the point of a dual tank setup? thank you for the help in advance..

well, at many depths, your gas runs low long before you reach your no-decompression limit. in these circumstances, you do get longer dives with doubles

also, if you are going to do decompression diving, where you will go past the no-decompression limit, then doubles come in very handy, again due to the extra gas you can carry

Hello everyone,

I have a question about running a dual tank setup. I have never ever thought nor talked to anyone about a dual tank setup and I have no clue how they work. I know it cant be too confusing and I was wondering how they regulator setup works with a dual tank setup and also the BCD? you obviously need a dual tank bcd and I have yet to find one. Also what are the advantages to a dual tank setup besides more air? if your bottom time can only be so long then what is the point of a dual tank setup? thank you for the help in advance..

Gregg

You will need to switch to a wing/BP system.

Doubles and why doubles is a long and complicated story, balance, capacity, not everybody dives air and there are those who work a deco profile and need the redundancy that is offered by a modern twin manifolded doubles set.

N

hosekit_doubles_tanks.jpg

What is is other empty hose for? Do double tank wings take two hoses for inflation?

Also, with a double tank setup like that, though the regulators are attached to seperate first stages, you can deplete both tanks by breathing from the primary regulator right? Does the air automatically breath from both tanks, equally, or do you have to manually switch tanks? Silly questions, I know.

When you want to dive with doubles, you shold follow DIR phylosophy. As for me it is the best way how to use this kind of gear properly.

Funny. The "DIR setup" was not invented by George Irvine III (who coined the phrase Doing It Right, hence DIR), rather it was taken from the gear configuration of some cave divers. Many cave divers are not now, nor do they every plan to be DIR practitioners. Perhaps the statement "when you want to dive doubles get proper training" would suffice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom