buttplate on a halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dungY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi all
i was wondering if anyone has ever tried adding a buttplate to a halcyon eclipse, or if that was even possible?
i kinda like the concept of the buttplate, but dont even know if it's possible to add one to an eclipse.
I know the nomad is a dedicated sidemount rig, but just happen to wonder if anyone has attempted this at all.

dungY

You can attach a Butt Plate to the Backplate. I've seen divers in our area do it.

Butt Plate w/SS Screws:
Dive Rite Sidemount Butt Plate Assembly - Standard BC2726 *Buy Dive Rite at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

If you are Side-Mounting bottles you may also need:
Bungies (need 2):
Dive Rite Sidemount - Bungee Strap-13" W/1014/1026 BC2720-13 *Buy Dive Rite at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47
Chokers:
Sidemount - Chocker for neck clip BC2720 *Buy Dive Rite at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

I'll try to post a Photo!

Sorry it took so long but here are the photos:
Standard Buttplate
BC2726-3.jpg

BC2726-4.jpg

Dive Rite Sidemount Butt Plate Assembly - Standard BC2726 *Buy Dive Rite at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

Techplate (becoming popular with Rebreather Divers):
BC1030-3T.jpg

BC1030-4T.jpg

Tech Buttplate BC1030 *Buy Dive Rite at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

Awesome - I ordered a tech from you - good deal I might add. Thanks for the pictures.

At fist it looked like the butt plate attachment was using just the two wasteband loops, but then it looks like there is a single sex bolt securing the butt plate to the halcyon back plate (I asusem because you two cannot be made to line up). Is this right? I would not think I would trust the butt plate attachment to just the wasteband loops.

For mounting the Tech Plate to the Backplate you will only use the waste band loops. The single sex bolt will not line up. The waist band loops are a sufficient attachment point which we have had no problems with. Most of the divers using this system have a bolt coming thru that center hole (that is an attachment point for doubles or rebreathers) so the sex bolt can't be used. I still don't think that it is necessary but if you wanted added security you can tie some cave line between the outer bottom holes (on the BP) thru the wider tech plate grommets.

BMW how did the tech plate work out for you? have you had any dives with it yet?
im leaning more towards the tech plate, im not too sure if im planning on going sidemount but id love to have the ability to place my pony on my side

I used the Golem butt plate attached to a Kydex DSS plate.

I used 2 stainless quicklinks to attach the butt plate to the backplate as the holes didn't line up.
More importantly the quicklinks allow you to get the butt plate lower to where it needs to be. The rails should be kinda heading under your butt cheeks just a little (will try and get a picture to show tonight). This gets the side slung bottle where it needs to be which is tight into your side, perfectly parralel and with the 1st stage just under your armpit.

I understand being streamlined in the DIR?GUE etc style but I've never really understood why stage/deco bottle always have the butt end pointing up - that's not streamlined!

My bungee for the bottle necks just looped from the top 2 side holes on my backplate with a small bolt snap threaded on to allow quick connection to the chest d-ring.

Back
Top Bottom