Wing for HP 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
All,

A PST or Worthington HP 80 stands approximately 20 inches tall. Is there a singles wing compatible with this height? I think the singles wings sold by DiveRite, DSS, Halcyon, Hollis, OMS, and Oxycheq are all much taller than this, at least 22 inches tall when fully inflated. What singles wings are people using with their HP 80's?

Thanks in advance.

Ronald

I have an Oxycheq 18# wing. It's about 20 inches high. Plan to set my daughter up with it and a steel 80.

Edit: Just measured the 18. 22 inches. Still sure I can make it work.

Splitlip,

Do you think that that extra 2 inches will cause problems? When standing the tank up, won't there be a tendency to set the tank on the bottom of the wing leading to an increased chance of putting a hole in the bladder?

That is the question.

I have a piranha STA. (It's got the "Nemrod mod. Intermediate sets of slots) It should allow me to move the rig up enough. If you go without a STA, most plates have enough room for you to raise the wing and avoid the pinch at the bottom.

But there is always the "trim" thing.

All,

A PST or Worthington HP 80 stands approximately 20 inches tall. Is there a singles wing compatible with this height? I think the singles wings sold by DiveRite, DSS, Halcyon, Hollis, OMS, and Oxycheq are all much taller than this, at least 22 inches tall when fully inflated. What singles wings are people using with their HP 80's?

Thanks in advance.

Ronald

The top of the wing will be at valve height, and this will take up the extra 2" and then some. You can also avoid wing pinch at the bottom by going with the upside down "U" shaped wing rather than the donut. To me the donut doesn't matter, esp on a smaller wing. The DSS LCD 20 or 30 would probably do you fine. The Halcyon 30# Eclipse, for example, will likely rub on the ground (with the tank standing up), even though you likely wouldn't have the pinch problem given the need for an STA--so with that wing the bottom nylon will fray a bit (but it will still likely hold up fine--mine did).

Mahjong,

Thanks for the suggestion. A while ago (~20 yrs ago!) I experimented first with independent, and then with manifolded HP 80's using my 1993-era Dive Rite doubles wings which have the "U" shape and stand about 22" tall uninflated. I remember I needed to be careful when standing the rig up and, especially, when standing up other rigs next to mine, because of the threat of pinch. I think you're right, for a single HP 80, I should be able to use a 22" singles wing with a "U" shape without much difficulty, but being a little careful.

BTW, I'm considering using my excellent Freedom Plate (purchased new last year) with my HP 80 this year, which is why I'm interested in a wing compatible with these shorter tanks.

Thanks again,

Ronald

Mahjong,

Thanks for the suggestion. A while ago (~20 yrs ago!) I experimented first with independent, and then with manifolded HP 80's using my 1993-era Dive Rite doubles wings which have the "U" shape and stand about 22" tall uninflated. I remember I needed to be careful when standing the rig up and, especially, when standing up other rigs next to mine, because of the threat of pinch. I think you're right, for a single HP 80, I should be able to use a 22" singles wing with a "U" shape without much difficulty, but being a little careful.

BTW, I'm considering using my excellent Freedom Plate (purchased new last year) with my HP 80 this year, which is why I'm interested in a wing compatible with these shorter tanks.

Thanks again,

Ronald

I'm not a fan of HP80's, but if somebody insists on using them with a DSS BP&W I recommend the LCD20, *IF* 20 lbs is enough lift for the their application. The LCD 20 is the shortest wing we offer and the horseshoe design means there is no bladder in the center bottom of the wing.

If you'd like some advice on required lift for your app let me know.

Tobin

Is your quip with the HP80 the short height or other buoyancy considerations?

Yes, I mentioned the LCD 30 above, but now I realize it is actually 3" or 4" longer than the LCD 20.

I'm not a fan of HP80's, but if somebody insists on using them with a DSS BP&W I recommend the LCD20, *IF* 20 lbs is enough lift for the their application. The LCD 20 is the shortest wing we offer and the horseshoe design means there is no bladder in the center bottom of the wing.

If you'd like some advice on required lift for your app let me know.

Tobin

Is your quip with the HP80 the short height or other buoyancy considerations?

Yes, I mentioned the LCD 30 above, but now I realize it is actually 3" or 4" longer than the LCD 20.

HP 80's are very short, and if the wing extends much below the bottom of the cylinder pinch flats are genuine concern.

Buoyancy is a whole different issue.

Tobin

You might want to consider looking at the Hog wing.
I've never seen one in person, but for a 32 LB lift wing it appears to be shorter and a little wider than the ultra slim wings. With the slim wings the air volume has to come from somewhere so they lenthen them.
I hear good things about the Hog and the price is right. I am considering getting one to test it with the plate to see if it would be a good alternative to the pricier Oxycheq line.

The simplest wing and still sought after by many people was Oxycheq's original single walled
Razor 18 and 30 Lb. wings. The fabric itself was urethane lined and didn't have the inner bladder. It was a snap to clean and if it got a hole a little dab of Aquaseal or a patch with wetsuit glue and you were back in business.
I was thinking of looking into someone making a wing like that for me.

I love the KISS philosophy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom