Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By danvolker
  • 1 Post By scubafanatic

Thread: question about light/travel bcds

Registered

keen for more dives.

Dives
    50 - 99

question about light/travel bcds

I'm new to the forum here let alone scuba diving and looking into buying a bcd. I have seen a difference already between the jacket and back inflation but now i see these smaller and more compact looking bc's such as this:Oceanic Biolite Bioflex Travel Scuba BCD 08.2207 with reviews at scuba.com

is there any disadvantage/advantage in using a travel or light bcd besides the fact its smaller and more compact. any cons?

thanks

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    The biggest con I can see is the price. There is no need to pay that much for a bc of any kind. Take a look at some of the modular bc's aka back plate and wings, or something like the Zeagle express tech. The one you cited seems to have a great deal of extra padding that is simply not necessary. The bpw and the zeagle are extremely stable, easily configured, and will save you enough cash to pay for a few extra dives. With these you can also be assured that they fit you correctly every time. No trying to fit a mfg idea of what size you should be.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here

Registered

keen for more dives.

Dives
    50 - 99
    The link i posted was more an example of what i meant as a light/travel bcd.
    ill keep what you said in mind, still looking obviously, but is there any pros / cons of using a travel/light bcd, besides the fact that its much more smaller and compact.

Also would it be ideal for a diver such as myself just having been certified as open water not even a week ago go with a back plate and wings bcd as a first bcd purchase? or a back inflate/jacket bcd be more appropriate, considering my experience etc.

Divemaster
    Badge

Dives for Fun!

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Blog Entries
    Or a halcyon 30 pound lift wing, with a aluminum back plate.....the aluminum back plate is vbery light, and easily fits in any suitcase, where it takes up almost no functional space...the wing folds and packs down, also taking up almost no space.

You end up with one of the Best BC systems in the world, without compromising anywhere, and the travel potential can't be beat....

See Halcyon Infinity | Halcyon Dive Systems

Going this route is also putting you on the path to becoming a better diver.....it gets much easier to hold optimal trim and experieince opimal bouyancy control, so the normal reaction divers have, is to take this a bit further :-)

Because of the low drag of the Halcyon system, you expend less energy to swim a given speed ( when compared to a big floppy bc), so your air or nitrox will last longer/more bottom time :-)
    Nitro91 likes this.
    Regards,
    Dan Volker
    South Florida Dive Journal SFDJ.COM & www.facebook.com/WILD.DIVING

Registered

opening Pandora's Box

.....ever heard the sayings "you get what you pay for" and "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" ?

Those travel BC's are built from lower grade (lighter weight) materials, and have minimal features or adaptability/customization potential.

A newbie diver with little/no real world diving experience won't appreciate this factor...at first anyway.
    Nitro91 likes this.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    you have to remember this guy is in australia and they don't have access to the same type of gear as we do and certainly not at the same price...
    You won't see much of a travel difference between a SS and AL backplate if you go that route, but they can be somewhat of a hassle to pack because they are hard.
    buy Dive Rite Travel EXP Package at northeastscubasupply.com - Backplate and Wings - Backplate and Wing Packages -- Save Big!!!! - Dive Rite Travel EXP Package - Northeast Scuba Supply
    $300 gets you a backplate and wing that is great for travel.