BP/W Questions. Please Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy107@gmail.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey Everyone,

im deciding to switch over to a more technical dive setup, and was wondering, what is a good BP/W brand and models for doing single 80's, twin tanks, and also sidemount. ive been looking at Hollis and Halcyon BP/W setups, also Apeks. which models of these are the best? or any other brands/models to consider?

Thanks

most sidemounters don't use backplates, and all plates will do singles & doubles. most plates are very very similar, though if you're using cambands to dive with a single you can't count on plate a fitting wing b with just cambands. all will fit with an sta, though. most brands of plate & wing are entirely fine - see what you can buy off your buddies, check out want ads here & other forums, no need to pay retail.

Just threaded my first plate last week. The Modular design and simpicity has me wondering why I was pushed into a BCD at all. There are some variations in plate sizes but it seems to me that a standard size plate covers most people. It's likely you may appreciate having a singles wing and a doubles wing. Some wings are advertised as dual purpose but you may find it not having enough lift for steel doubles and a taco efect on singles. I purchased a smaller doubles wing (38lb) and it does not look like it would be good at all for singles. It also looks like I could not go over double 85 steels without having lift issues keeping my rig from sinking. Also if you are one of those people that hardly uses any lead you will likely go for a aluminum plate.
Nice tagline Baby Duck. Don't forget " there is water at the bottom of the ocean"

You can view it in simple terms and just say that a plate is a plate, and a wing is a wing.

Or you can elaborate on it and complicate it further, and break it down further.
Plates: They can be stainless steel, aluminum, or kydex with stainless steel reinforcements. The plates will come in different sizes, and the different manufacturers have different bend angles. They are all shaped slightly different.

The bend angle will be most noticeable on on a singles rig. For every diver that recommends a flatter plate because it puts the tank closer to your back, there will be those that will complain that the 1st stage hits them in the back of the head.

Another choice is whether or not to purchase a design that requires a single tank adapter (STA). There are rigs that do not require a STA.

Some companies offer bolt on weight plates for their back plates, other companies offer weighted STA's.
Other companies, like "Fred T" offer plates made from thicker metal than the standard 1/8".

Harness choices: You can get a plain webbing harness, or get one of the padded harnesses. Each has their fans and detractors. There are also some designs that have some means of adjusting the harness. Halcyon has one style, Deep Sea Supply (DSS) has another type that can be added to their stainless steel plates. Golem Gear offers a harness that incorporates a different style of shoulder harness buckle.

There were some guys that added some type of fastex buckle to their shoulder strap, but they all died. So no one is sure how well that worked out. :)

The hardware that comes on the harnesses from different manufactures varies in the thickness of metal used. Most people don't care...I like the attention to detail. I like the companies that use the much thicker metal in their buckle.

Wings: Get a single wing for single tanks, and a double wing for double tanks.

Wing size is most important, then shape. Some companies offer many shapes and sizes for wings. Other companies have just a few.

Inner bladder material differs with each manufacturer, as does the outer material used in the shell. Just search here for numerous threads on this.

Embroidered company names on the sides of the wings, red trim, blue trim, different colored wings, etc. Whatever floats your boat, there are plenty of choices.

Inflator hose length is another thing that's different between manufacturers as well. Pull dumps, no pull dumps, look at this too.

The OPV in many wings have been recalled in the past due to springs corroding. This has probably been corrected by most companies by now.

I own DSS, Oxycheq, and used to have a Dive Rite wing. I replaced the OPV on all of them with a DSS brand. Theirs is an improvement over the China ones that are on most of the other ones.

There's an over view. I personally prefer DSS, for a variety of reasons. There are numerous threads here that really dig into comparing all of the brands.

For every recommendation, you will read from someone else that doesn't like them.
Read through, and you'll see the good and the bad. The really good will start to stand out.

They are all good, except for the ones that suck. :)

Reading BP/W threads on Scuba board. Have fun...see ya next year! :)

-Mitch

The delta wing by Unified Team Diving does singles/doubles back and sidemount. I've had mine for awhile now and I've put it to the test doing all the aforementioned dive types, results have been awesome. I prefer to use a SS backplate when doing sidemount on AL80s as he plate compensates for the positive characteristics. Cavers that don't are squeezing through donut holes, I have no problems moving my tanks to the push through position for tight entries though. A lot of thought and trials when into its development, which resulted in a great wing.

The main reason I dive a BP/W is to put weight on my back vs. on the belt when diving cold and dry. To that end I dive a steel Hammerhead plate with STA. The rig weights 11+ lbs. When I dive warm water I dive a Zeagle back inflate BC. So the main thing you must decide is how much weight does you plate/STA have. Living where you do I would recommend as much weight as possible.

Hammerhead is gone so you will need to buy another setup. A lot of people like X, take your pick they are more alike than not. Tobin makes nice stuff....

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=backplates

Here is another popular option

Ultimate Hogarthian Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems - Dive Gear Express

Scubatoys has a good selection as well.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/sear...&subcat=170&txtsearchParamCat=10&txtCatName=3

So sorry to see Hammerhead go!

Hey Everyone,

im deciding to switch over to a more technical dive setup, and was wondering, what is a good BP/W brand and models for doing single 80's, twin tanks, and also sidemount. ive been looking at Hollis and Halcyon BP/W setups, also Apeks. which models of these are the best? or any other brands/models to consider?

Thanks

You should do a search and you'll find dozens of threads with all sorts of recommendations. Don't get a wing that tries to do doubles and singles, it won't work. Sidemount is a completely different arrangement and if you're going that route, get some instruction on it along with set up advice.

For single AL80s, a steel plate offsets the buoyancy of the tank nicely. For steel doubles most divers will use an AL plate. Assuming you're starting off with mostly recreational diving with an AL80, I'd get a steel plate and a small wing (depending on your lift needs) with a hogarthian webbing harness. There are lots of good brands; dive rite, deep sea supply, oxycheq, and halcyon are four of the more well-known BP/W brands. There are others as well; but I'd avoid OMS due to many horror stories about customer service.

Nice tagline Baby Duck. Don't forget " there is water at the bottom of the ocean"
thanks! but since i prefer caves to ocean...i'll stick with what i got. :wink:

AGIR make heavy plates, the heaviest is a 6mm steel plate that weighs in at just over 11lbs. They are not cheap and do require the use of an STA as they have no slots.

Back
Top Bottom