SP Glide 2000 Velcro weights what year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sploosh

Reaction score
Just bought one of theses second hand via e-bay in the uk. Seems in good condition & stays inflated, good start!

It has the Velcro weight pockets, when did SP manufacture that model. I have no manual, are the straps coming from the weight pockets simply for quick release.

If I get it serviced what will they do & how much should I expect to pay in the UK.

Have people had problems with the Velcro releases. I have no imediate plan to go straight to using intergrated weights but will give em a go at some point.

To be honest I was very confused about which BC to get so just went for it after trying on a glide 1000. Is the difference between the two just the weight pockets.

Hopefully all will be ok, I have a SP dealer near me so I can take it to him or I think I could service it myself as I'm pretty good a technical stuff, engineer by trade.

Ta

Hi
I realise its been 3 months since you posted you question, but I'd be interested to know how you've got on with your BCD.

I've had a Glide 2000 for a couple of years and just started using the integrated weights in the Cayman Islands in Oct/Nov this year. The reason I switched to them was that my weight belt came undone and fell off, causing all sorts of poblems, as you can imagine.

Anyway, would you believe a couple of dives later, both weight pouches fell out when I was at 20m. I wasn't at 20m for lon, I can tell you!

The DM, after the dive, told me he'd heard of problems with this BCD and suggested I contact the manufacturer, which I haven't yet. He also though that with 7lb of weight in each pocket, this would be classed as too much for the BCD to cope with and that's why I lost my weight.

Look forward to your reply....

Hi one

Well it was more like 3 hours than 3 months, that was when I registered, never mind..

Umm instant ascent from 20m, I'll take that as a bit of neg feedback. I must say I'm new to all this & I'm not sure I would want to wear intergrated weights with a random "dive club" buddy. With a regular buddy it should be safer.

So, how much air was in your BC when this happened did u have time to think/deflate. Or was it more like SH*T wahay!!!!!!!! How scary was it on the scaryometer ??

Well, its all experience.

I guess I was about four meters up within a couple of seconds - I'd only just heard the velcro make that tearing sound. I managed to fin like crazy and get to the bottom. Fortunately the folks I was diving with saw my predicament and two lads caught hold of my tank while two ladies jumped on me. My wife and I then struggled to get the puches back in.

I was using solid weights in the pouches. I went back to a weight belt after that, although was temped to go for a combination of the two.

Since my last post, I have looked around a bit and seen that the velcro has been replaced with some sort of clip. I wonder if I can get hold of this design change and apply it to my BCD.

Cheers for now:confused:

Back
Top Bottom