Apeks Black Ice BC review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwelburn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As there are absolutely no reviews of this thing out there that I can find I figured I'd add my two cents for anyone out there considering buying one. I bought it sight unseen from an LDS on pure faith that Apeks got it right. They were just released. I just completed my second dive with the Black Ice today and had a good time with it. Most certainly beats the crap out of rental gear. I'm 5'10", 165 lbs, 30" waist, using a 3mil wetsuit. I have the small/medium. I absolutely love how adjustable this thing is. It can be adjusted (with screws and grommets) at the shoulders and waist. This is very good for me as I'm long in the spine and narrow at the waist. Although, I have to say that to make it a perfect fit for the shoulder pads I'd need to add about 3 inches to the shoulder straps at the top, as the top D ring sits about at the peak of my shoulder. The waist adjustments were set all the way in and were perfect for me. It is a little bit hefty, but I sorta like that because it really feels like there's no way to break it. It also stays put really well. Not as tight as a backplate, but better than your typical BC. The fold out pocket on the left side is great. The pocket on the right spontaneously opened up on me today, though luckily nothing was in there. I'll have to figure out what to do about that. When i have time I'll post some pictures of all the nooks and crannies. If you have any questions feel free to message me or post back. Hope this helps!

I just saw the "wrapture" video (The Wrapture). It's like they are trying to duplicate the function of traditional BP/harness system. But their version is overly complicated and has more failure points.

The Apex Black Ice is what used to be the AquaLung Black Diamond. Apex is an Aqualung Company. Check out reviews for the Black Diamond.

I love my Black Diamond (even if I only have 20 minutes on it). Worked great, and like the minimal feel of it on the sides and front.

The Apex Black Ice is what used to be the AquaLung Black Diamond. Apex is an Aqualung Company. Check out reviews for the Black Diamond.

The Apeks Black Ice did replace the Black Diamond, but there are differences in the design. I wouldn't base your buying decision on the reviews of an old model. Apeks is an Aqua Lung company and Aqua Lung has a 30 day satisfaction policy, so you can exchange it for something else if you decide you don't like it. Not sure if it is a "at participating dealers" thing, so double check with your LDS before you buy it.

I purchased a Black Ice thinking it would make a good backup for doubles. It is a really nice BCD but is absolutely not good for doubles. The wing design is like a inflatable pillow on your back and anything wider than an AL-80 will restrict the wings ability to fully inflate. it is narrower than the black diamond wing so between the rapture plate and double cylinders it wont expand beyond the width of the tanks so it has no place to inflate and ends up trapped between the tanks and the plate.

Must agree that the Black Ice has no comparison to the Black Diamond.

A better comparison is AquaLungs Axiom. I currently own two of the Axioms, one with normal inflator/deflator and one with I-3.
- I am not a newbie diver so please save the BP/W comments.

I dove SP GlidePros for years while teaching and all-around diving, just love them.
- Then aquired a Zeagle Stiletto for fun dives and then had the chance to snag an I-3 Axiom, later added the standard Axiom for teaching.

The wrapture system feels a lot like the Stiletto, I like the Ax's tank quick snap strap (it's kinda like the GlidePros strap) and the belly strap adjustment is fast
and very comfortable.

It'd be interesting to dive the Black Ice and compare to the Axiom, I think it'd end up being very similar, read as good.

I have the Black Diamond, and the Black Ice. The Black Ice is quite Different Fit and feel wise compared to the Black Diamond. I prefer the Black Ice. Both are great BC's. I also dive a Balance that I give high marks to for casual diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom