My first BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joel_e

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I have just completed my PADI advanced open water and want to start going diving regularly, so im going to get my own gear. I have been looking in to BCDs and narrowed it down to the Mares Dragon MRS plus and the Aqua Lung Axiom BCD. I like the features and design of them both but I just cant choose. Can anyone give me any feed back or reviews on any of them? Thanks Joel.

I was going to buy the Mares Dragon MRS plus BCD but have read on scubaboard that there is problems with the weight pockets. If you search you will find the posts.

Its important to check the version of the weigh pocket style though. The newer Mares weight pockets (and not the older ones that might still be on some BCDs for sale) are actually pretty great according to people who have used several kinds.

forget the baggy stuff and get wing. somebody threw it on me on my dive #49, and i never looked back through next 300+ dives. as simple as that.

forget the baggy stuff and get wing. somebody threw it on me on my dive #49, and i never looked back through next 300+ dives. as simple as that.

+1

Pretty much every thread here ends up the same way, and there's a reason for that. Check out a backplate and wing, read one of the MANY threads here about them (even for new divers in warm water with single tanks), and maybe consider one before getting a jacket BC.

If not BP/W check out the Back Inflate BCDs as well. I know a few who don't like BP/W but actually like the attributes of a Back Inflate like the Zeagle Tech Express offer.

All BCs are functional so either one will work. I would look at the different "styles" first. For example is a jacket, back inflate, or wing what you want. Next do you want standard inflator hose or something like the i3. Pockets? Etc...

It will usually end with a simple bp/w. It took me 20 years to discover what I've been missing.

But between those two I like the axiom. My dive buddy has one.

I know a few who don't like BP/W but actually like the attributes of a Back Inflate like the Zeagle Tech Express offer.

Yup, that's a good model with a lot of fans!

I wonder what someone wouldn't like about a BP/W but wouldn't be an issue with the Zeagle Tech Express? Maybe it's just lighter or something? Seems a lot like a BP/W from a fit viewpoint, just without the modularity.

It is. But my thing with the Express Tech is that even though I use one for pool classes is that a great deal of our diving is done in cooler water. Requiring heavy wetsuits or dry suits. The BPW is just easier to deal with weighting wise. Although there are ways around that with the ET.

Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

Back
Top Bottom