Adjustable Harness/Quick Release Webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know the type of webbing used on BCD's and adjustable harnesses with quick releases ?

The typical BP/W webbing is too stiff to slide through the adjustable buckles. I believe the various adjustable BP/W harnesses with adjustable buckles use a combination of webbing. Softer for adjustable buckles and standard for everything else.

Is it soft nylon, polyester, polypro ?

When I first assembled a BP/W, I included a QR that I thought I just had to have. I used the stiff webbing and did it a couple ways. In both cases, I did not want to cut the webbing; Just something to give me some extra room for donning and doffing. I did one with the standard QRs and another design using a belt buckle. It did not take long to realize that I was seldom using the release mechanisms and just did not need them.

I suggest you use the stiff webbing (much easier donning and doffing) and just leave a couple feet extra while you try it without the releases. Try it for 10 or 15 dives and then decide if you really need the releases. There is a reason you seldom. if ever, see a BP/W with a QR.

Another option is to get the webbing wet and try to thread it through the quick release buckles.

---------- Post added September 7th, 2013 at 11:36 AM ----------

And just an FYI when threading anything through a buckle, slide, or other slot taking a small corner off each side helps greatly. As well as a pair of pliers. You can always singe the cut portions after the threading has been done with a lighter.

I guess I should have provided a little more information.

I happily dive a hog harness, single piece of webbing with a crotch strap. The crotch strap is key for me. It let's me keep the shoulder webbing a little loose.

This question is for my wife who tried a hog harness and had the following problems:

- she will not use a crotch strap, no changing her mind
- w/o the crotch strap, the shoulders need to be tight or the whole thing is too loose and shifts
- her left arm mobility is a little restricted, so I have to help her get in and out

So I bought her an Oxycheq adjustable harness, which uses 2" stiff webbing and has adjustable side release buckles for each shoulder. The webbing is too stiff to easily slide through the buckle for one handed tightening/loosening. The idea is for her to be able to loosen and tighten by herself when she gets in/out. Kind of like a standard BCD. The webbing that slides through the adjustable buckles is separate and I can easily change it.

If you look at all the BCD's, backpacks and harnesses that have adjustable buckles the webbing is much softer to allow one hand tightening/loosening. There is no way standard 2" stiff webbing will slide through the buckle with one hand. Even when wet after boiling.

Akimbo, what harness do you have ? Are you using that flat nylon webbing and adjusting tightness through the buckle ?

I do not dive with a crouch strap. I figured out 12 years ago that I did not need it.. I've got arthritis in both shoulder and had surgery on the right shoulder a year ago. Still don't need a QR. Although, I fell yesterday during a surface interval. I was sitting on a small wall with all my gear on and the tank slipped off the back. I was turtled. My buddy offered help but I am still a solo diver. so I had to handle this myself. It is a bit hard to work your way out of a harness while laughing at your stupidity but I did it.

Let her give it a try.

My wife did 4 dives with the hog harness, no crotch strap. As I said above, needed help getting in/out and sometimes shoulders were too loose and caused shifting UW.

I already bought the Oxycheq harness. The quick releases make getting out easy. Just figured spending $5 on softer webbing will making getting in easier for her too. Worst case, I waste $5.

Just need to know what kind of webbing. I think it is a combination of softer and thinner since my softer 2" crotch strap webbing will not slide either.

Last edited:
Go ahead and try it. Being able to cinch it will matter where she does not want a crotch strap. McMaster Carr also has some nice pliable stuff that plays nice in sliders.

I rarely use my sliders to don any more but they are nice for adjusting from dry to assorted wet suit configurations. The left quick release is usually used when dry to avoid vent abuse when dropping the rig.

The whole point of the harness system is personal configurability so go play.

Pete

What are her reasons for not wanting the crotchstrap?

You could try using a weight belt style buckle on one of the shoulder straps,kind of old Skool, but it seems like the kind of solution that fits the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom