Buying a new BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

omrihak

New
Reaction score
Hello, I am about to buy a new bcd, and I need your help choosing one, here are some of my considerations:
1. Back Inflation
2. Integrated weights
3. A couple of D-rings on shoulder pads
4. No velcro on waist
5. Prefer quality over weight
6. Not very expensive

I was looking at the mares hybrid pure and at the cressi air travel, any suggestion will be great.
Thanks

What kind of diving of of diving do you plan on doing ? Keep an open mind on back plate and wing . you can make it fit the diving you are doing and if your diving changes you can adjust the BP&W to work with the new style

I am planning on found regular dives , I believe it is called recreational diving. And also I don't understand anything about bp&w bcd's, I prefer fully built bcds

What kind of recreational diving are you planning on doing and what temperatures are you going to be diving in?

More D-rings might be necessary if you are planning on carrying camera gear, lights, lobster gear, using retractors for slates or SPG, etc., etc. If none of those apply then 4 should be enough.

Temperature (re: lead) is something to consider as many travel BCDs do not have a lot of lift. Of course, the Hybrid Pure has plenty if you end up going with that.

I am planning on found regular dives , I believe it is called recreational diving. And also I don't understand anything about bp&w bcd's, I prefer fully built bcds

The link that was posted for the BPW setup was a bit confusing because it's unassembled. But once assembled it's just as simple…or maybe even easier… to don as a regular bcd. You don't have pockets to put anything. It's a stripped down, simple type of BCD.

The Mares one you mentioned looks really nice. My buddy in the Philippines owns a shop and uses Mares gear. I was using a regular shop BCD two years ago and it worked great. I have a bp wing here at home that I use. Best if you can try things on and see what you like.

You've described the Zeagle Covert exactly depending on your definition of not very expensive. The covert is definitely a travel warm water BC as the amount of integrated weight space is limited. I added a couple of heavy duty D-rings when I got it, but other than that I've been pretty happy with it. You might take a look at it and see if it wouldn't work for you.

Although I'm also a Zeagle fan there's also:

Scubapro Litehawk BC, Black at LeisurePro - currently $239 IDK if that includes the weight pockets.

LP also has the Zeagle Wicked Lite Ranger for $325 - I think that's a closeout price since they're discontinued. It's basically what the Covert is based on except the wing has the tribal patterning. Zeagle Wicked Lite Ranger BCD at LeisurePro

If LP's Mares Hybrid Pure ad is correct it only has a 13# weight capacity? I hope that's per side.
Hybrid Pure is equipped with Mares MRS-Plus 13 lbs (6 kg) Mechanical Release System in Medium, Large and X-Large and 8.82 lbs (4 kg) in X-Small and Small.

If he needs more weight than that it should be on a belt anyway. I tell my students to never put more than ten pounds in integrated bc weight pockets total. Does not matter what they are rated for.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

How about a Diverite TravelPac (or VoyagerPac if you dive dry or take a stage with you)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom