[info] x-tek pure tek scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elZub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello folks.
I'm looking for a new bcd.
My first bp/w, i saw this pure tek system 30lbs for single tank.
I do recreational diving, and at this time I'm not into Technical diving.
I didn't find any review or opinions about it.
Would be nice to have some feedback.

I read in this forum that is overpriced.
What about quality?
In Europe I can get a complete set for something like 460 euro, a frog indigo same configuration for 430 euro.

Should I save 30euro and buy the frog?

Last edited:
Scubapro x-tec, from what I can see, is basically Halcyon Eclipse. The plate is exactly the same dimension, band angle as the Halcyon except a few more hole. The wing has similar construction as Eclipse wing, expect Scubapro use different inflator, corrugated hose and dump. Yes, and that graphic.

I have H plate and recently got x-tec plate myself. The quality, fit and finish, attention to detail is 2nd to none. Yes, you pay quite a bit more for the them. Yes, practically, they don't make huge differences from other plates. I have no experience with x-tec wing myself. But if they are made by Halcyon, I would expect the same high quality.

In that kit i get also an x tek inflator.

Tnx eelnoraa, my doubt is about the wings, i don't know nothing about it. For the price, in the range of 400-500 euro in europe i can't find too much bp/w.

Last edited:
1. DIY the harness.
2. Buy a used plate(Al or SS) and make usre it has slots for two cam bands otherwise you will need a single tank adapter.
3. Buy a new wing.
4. Buy used cam bands.
5. Import from Dive Gear Express for a complete set of Dive Rite(single) for US$299.00. You will have to pay the duty though.
Good luck.

1. DIY the harness.
2. Buy a used plate(Al or SS) and make usre it has slots for two cam bands otherwise you will need a single tank adapter.
3. Buy a new wing.
4. Buy used cam bands.
5. Import from Dive Gear Express for a complete set of Dive Rite(single) for US$299.00. You will have to pay the duty though.
Good luck.

1 i can,
2 i didn't find
3 i can
4 same as number 2
5 it cost with shipment 380 usd, plus duty, i think i have to buy a STA, and 25lbs wings could be not enought if i dive with drysuit in cold water.

i was looking for some used equipment but i can't find in italy a "good used market" for backplates

I read in this forum that is overpriced. What about quality?
In Europe I can get a complete set for something like 460 euro, a frog indigo same configuration for 430 euro.
Should I save 30 euro and buy the frog?

For a 30 Euro difference, I would just buy the Scubapro and not look back. You could also try eBay for deals on new gear. There is a guy in the UK called Red Hat diving that sells inexpensive wings. Not sure if that helps you with the duty.

ams511
tnx for your answer.
i know red hat diving only because i've been in his web site.
i don't know about quality, but after all it's come to cost a bit less than scubapro.

so i decided to jump :) and to buy the x tek set from a selected dealer (here in italy), it's mean i get warranty. don't think to get warranty from US and just in case i'd have to send it back to us.
at last i think i got a good price, now it's time to dive :wink:

tnx to all!!!
hope i did the good one.

Recently bought my own the Xtek Pure but I have not gotten it wet yet. I am an end user and not associated with any manufacturer or the dive industry. As with any BP/W set up you can buy each component or get a complete unit. My initial observation are as follows:

• Harness system - SS plate – no burs, no sharp areas, good finish. Several holes for screws to adjust height to STA and wing. It comes assembled with the webbing (really stiff that it hurts bare skin, it may soften with use or when my skin callouses over), D rings, SS buckle, crotch strap (softer webbing) and a storage pack, the metal screws that holds the storage pack do have sharp ridges that can be sanded down. Several wide elastic rubber bands, I believe are used to secure excess webbing, don't think they can be used to secure back up lights to shoulder straps since they are thinner than rubber inner tubes.
  • 30lb Wing – mine came with a balanced inflator without pull dump. I believe there are other options like the Xtek inflator and with manual dump. The outer fabric seems durable and with good finish no loose thread or stitching. The inflator section comes with a LP hose, also of note it came with its own warranty card and has a serial number. Buttons are plastic(Apeks buttons are metal) and arranged side by side, this feels easier to use(I have small hands) than if the deflate button is at the bottom. The corrugated hose is circular, not low profile oblong. Zippers are of good quality. The bladder is made of black nylon fabric that seems durable as well. The wing serial number is found in the inner compartment. The wing and inflator is made in China.
  • Single Tank Adapter – SS, good finish, no sharp areas. The actual adapter is different from the manufacturer's picture in that the bottom hole is rectangular to make adjustments easier. After initial set up, the two tank straps make it easy to secure tanks of the same circumference, after several uses it is a good idea to check fit again. Stainless steel buckles with hooked ends to protect fingers, it seems like this may be a snag risk depending on how you position in on the tank.
Due to the stiffness, I had difficulty adjusting webbing lengths when weaving it through tight bends of the metal hardware, adjusting the harness is a pain. The triglides are of thinner metal and it bends when you are not careful with D ring adjustments, I suppose it's thin to keep a low profile.

Overall the Xtek Pure is marketed to a certain group of people. There might be other products that have better materials, but if you maintain it well and check areas that are prone to damage this tool will do what it's designed to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom