Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Apeks Black Ice

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Militant83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well guys just finished my open water and I'm looking at starting to buy my gear. Ive narrowed my BC choices down to the Apeks Black Ice and Zeagle Ranger. Any thoughts?

I have only seen the Apex Black Ice in a showroom and never done any dives on one. I have approximately 1000 dives on my Ranger LTD and have no problem saying I prefer the Zeagle Ranger LTD. It is extremely comfortable for me. I dove a BP/W for years but could never get used to the crotch strap across my family jewels. The Ranger has a Y shaped crotch strap and is way more comfortable for me. If you are built like a Ken Doll it might not matter to you and the BP/W might work. :wink:
Will your LDS let you try these on dives in their pool before you buy? If not get the most comfortable one that fits YOU. Function AND Comfort makes your dive that much more enjoyable. Here is a link to the Y strap from Zeagle.

Split Saddle Strap Assembly

Have you ever dove in either? What we like may not necessarily be what you like. Would you ask on line what car to buy without a test drive? If at all possible, try before you buy.

I have access to buddy that has a ranger but no access to a black ice. Which I will try to dive it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know lots of people who dive Zeagle. Personally I dive BP/W (two frankenstein kits). I have never met anyone who dives an Apeks Black Ice. If I was considering it I would call up the manufacturer/distributor and ask if there is a shop which uses the black ice in their rental stock. If there is a local shop which has rental gear you could rent it and see how you like it. Another option is see if the distributor is willing to bring a demo to a local shop and rent it to you directly. Last piece of equipment I could not find to try I called the distributor. He brought it by a local shop and told me if I liked it and purchased it, he'd knock the rental fee off the purchase. If I didn't buy it I'd just pay the rental fee.

I've also known the owner of a local shop to let me try out his equipment. So if he has something I'm interested in buying, he'll let me try it out. Sometimes he'll even sell me his gear, used, no tax so he can purchase something else.

Would strongly suggest the first things you buy are your mask, fins, and reg set. Then dive as many different BC's that you can. I know there is a bias for the BP/W combo here on this site, but after trying it I can honestly say it is for a good reason.

When I first started diving, there was not near the choices available as there is now. You need to put some dives under your belt before dropping down bucks on a BC. You need to discover for yourself what kind of diving you like and then tailor your choices from there.

Hope this helps.

Cave Adventurers - OxyCheq Universal Leg Strap - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
this is the equivalent for the BP/W setup but actually goes on backwards from the Zeagle which still allows use of a scooter.

The bias for BP/W is prevalent because it is a better system. Doesn't matter if it is a soft plate like a transpac, or a one piece webbing stainless plate, the modular build to allow for singles, doubles, rebreather in the same unit, the removal of lead with the SS plates, and the cost of them makes them an investment instead of a throwaway. I understand the ranger is modular, but it has so much drag in the water it's not worth it

They're also cheaper which helps....
Ranger-$750
Black Ice-$695
Basic single tank BP/W $380
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
Fancy BP/W package $500
Transplate XT Travel Package - Dive Right in Scuba

Then, if you get the basic setup there, you can get a set of nice regulators to go with it
Hog D1 Singles Regulator Package - Dive Right in Scuba
and barely be over the cost of the Ranger. There is a method to all of our madness....

I cannot answer your question. Perhaps I can help you ask it better? There is some info. that might help people help you.

1.) You're in Ohio. Do you plan to dive in that region, in cold water where you may eventually want a dry suit or at least a 7 mm full wetsuit, hood and gloves, and your BCD must have the lift capacity to take you up from depth despite substantial weighting? Or do you intend to just do traveling 'dive tourist' excursions in warm water destinations like Florida and the Caribbean?

2.) What attracted you to those 2 models? What do you like about them? Did you consider alternatives, whether BP/W or not, or are these just what the local shop is selling?

3.) From what I'm told Zeagle uses a ripcord release system for integrated weights in at least some of it's BCDs. Some people like that. I suggest doing a search on it on the forum to read up and see whether you think you might be one of them.

Richard.

I have no experience with the Apeks BCD, but dove a couple of Zeagles for years. They are solidly built, comfortable, and parts are easily replaced due to the modular construction. The ripcord system has people who love and those who hate it. I'm somewhat indifferent--hey it works just fine. My one gripe with the Ranger is that the bladder is too darn big at 44 lb for most single tank diving that I do. I put a smaller (Brigade) bladder on the Tech harness, and had a great BCD that I still use on occasion when I'm not in a BP/W or sidemount gear.

Another thing, Zeagles are made in the USA, and you can talk to a person at the factory if you have any issues. I had a used one repaired for very little money (would have been free if I'd been the original owner), and they were great to deal with. That was back before Huish acquired the company, but I haven't heard of any changes to their policies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom