Returning to the sport - soliciting BCD advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vigga

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All -
Former instructor - moved away from the sport about a decade ago - a few random dives here and there. Recently having the itch to get back into things.
Here soliciting some advice on my a BCD upgrade.

I dove a Oceanic OceanPro 5K in my previous life - jacket style, pre-weight integration. Was fine. A workhorse for me.

Lurking for the last few weeks here - and the consensus will undoubtedly be some sort of backpack wing set-up.
From the more straight forward recreational side, it seems like Zeagle is the favorite. On the more technical side I've seen discussion of DiveRight, DSS, Halcyon, Oxycheq, etc.

Probably relevant:
Not a big guy - 5'8" and fit - Never needed a ton of weight while working, but years on Wall St will undoubtedly mean I'll need more than I used to :)

Previously enjoyed as low profile as possible.

I will be traveling to dive, and only to warm water destinations. Definitely travel oriented.

No interest in double tank, cold water, dry suit, etc. No interest in expansion to anything technical in the future. I've done the crazy stuff - its out of my system. Also no concern with scalability in the future. This pack will have only one purpose (warm water reef diving).

I don't want to put together my own rig. Happy to look at some pre-configured package. I know it might be easy - don't want to be hassled.

Price less important than getting something that is appropriate. I take really good care of my gear, so I don't mind investing for something that'll last.

I know trying is terrific - but i live in NYC and this is simply impractical.

What have I identified in my lurking that might work?
Zeagle Express Tech, maybe the Stiletto?
Have seen some travel oriented packages based around DiveRite TransPacXT; saw the DiveRite TravelPac as well.
Halcyon has the Traveler.

Curious for some input - thanks!
v

I have only used the Halcyon Traveller for a couple of weeks of diving in the Maldives. I Absolutely loved it. The options it gives for placing weights on the plate are absolutely fab. It is lightweight (5lbs ish) and travels well. It is made well. And if I knew I were to only dive single tanks on my travels that is most likely the one I would get. (I use a SS H plate and 40lbs wing for my doubles at home)

EDIT: I never use more than a 1mm rashguard and board shorts when diving warm waters. I have no issues with either the plate or the harness.

Last edited:
I would recommend something like this DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba. Just select Aluminum plate and you should be in the same weight range as any of the travel BC's that are all the rage these days and have a much more robust piece of equipment. You said you " enjoyed as low profile as possible" well it does not get much more streamlined than a simple BP/W and one piece harness.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have spent time on the DRIS site and have seen folks refer to that system particular system in other threads.
I guess: what does that "robustness" really get me?
Besides price, how does something like that compare to the DiveRiteTranspac XT Travel Package that DRIS offers (TransPac XT Travel Package - Dive Right in Scuba) or even the DiveRite TravelPac, or aforementioned Halcyon Traveler? Or to something from Zeagle?

I also recommend the Halcyon Traveller. I have one and love it.

In a nutshell - less buoyant weight you have to counteract with lead weight. No pockets on a BP/W unless you add them. Although some of them come with covers, it's still a steel/aluminum plate against your shoulderblades - wouldn't be for me. But I only dive in warm water in a t-shirt.

I had a Stiletto. It's a decent compromise - not too heavy, not too bulky yet has enough to it to support most types of diving - even cold water if you ever do. Express Tech is more like a soft backplate BP/W than anything else - although you can add pockets, a weight system etc to it. Do all that and you've basically got a Stiletto. You can also get an ET with a 35# wing if desired - most dealers will make the trade-out for the price difference.

I'd have to disagree - the vocal minority here are the BP/W enthusiasts. A visit to any dive shop or online retailer (except a BP/W mfr.) confirms that. SB is sometimes like that.

BPW don't show up in a lot of shops for a few reasons.

One is less markup so the shop makes less money on them.

Another is that they simply don't know how to properly set one up. Some will use the lie that they are only for tech divers that shops will tell a new or uninformed diver. That is a sure sign they have no experience with them, can't get them, and/or don't want to take the time to learn about them.

Third is that the unit is modular so that when a component wears out you don't replace the whole BC, just the part that wears.

I have had both my steel and al plates on in warm water with just a t shirt and with no shirt. If you are properly weighted and trimmed out you only feel the plate on land. Underwater it's barely noticeable if at all. As for the pads that are available for them, most people I have sold them to ended up removing them as they found out for themselves that they are not necessary.

But to be fair I never dive without full body coverage. It may only be a skin but there are too many stinging, rough, and irritating things in the water, especially saltwater, to risk going uncovered.

What you will be told by those who have no real experience with them is that they are complicated, too hard to adjust, are uncomfortable, and that there is no place to store stuff. All untrue.

As for storage I have yet to find a conventional BC by any mfg that has pockets that are NOT a pain in the ass to use in some way. It's why I have pockets on the thighs on all my suits. For the shorty I use in the pool I have a thigh pocket that also has a loop of webbing that slides on to the waist belt of the BPW. No having to chicken wing my arm to reach into a pocket to fish around for something.

Thanks for the reply.
New to the forum and really just looking in to equipment for the first time in almost 15 years. t is easy to fall into the trap of extrapolating from that vocal group to larger sentiment. When I was last actively engaged, back inflated units were just starting to pop up in recreational targeted gear (my recollection anyway) - so it is a fairly new avenue for me to explore.

I also dive with just a rash guard in warm water. And board shorts. That's it. No neoprene - just don't get cold and have no interest in diving in areas where I would.

Appreciate the vote for what seems like to me a fairly simple solution to my problem. For better or worse, I look at something like the Halcyon Traveler and it seems intimidating.

Back
Top Bottom