Help Choosing My First BCD????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddville393

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to take the plunge and buy my first set of gear and I need so help selecting my first BCD. After weighing the pros, cons, and prices I want to go with a Back Inflated BCD, please do not suggest a BP/W I've already ruled them out. I only plan on diving once or twice a month. Usually in lakes or scubaparks but occasionally the ocean. I'm 5'9", 160lbs, 32in Waist. I like to dive using an LP95 tank, don't dive enough to justify buying one though, so I rent whatever's available. Weight Integration is a must.

I'm purchasing through Leisure Pro. I've narrowed what they have down to these.
Mares Hybrid Pure ($240)
Sherwood AXIS CQR3 ($300)
Oceanic Excursion 1 ($350)
Cressi Back Jac Elite ($375)
Mares Hybrid Pro Tec ($410)

I would like to keep the price under $500 but if I'm paying anything north of $400 it better be worth it.

P.S. I had this in another thread referencing a full setup and it became to mixed up and confusing so I just broke it down to individual discussions.

Thanks for the advice and Dive Safe.

Last edited:
Help us help you, by sharing some of your thinking, the rationale behind your selection process. How did you narrow it down to these, out of curiosity?
I want to go with a Back Inflated BCD . . . I would like to keep the price under $500 but if I'm paying anything north of $400 it better be worth it.
OK, I understand that having back-inflation is important. I also understand that the price point is important.
please do not suggest a BP/W I've already ruled them out.
I won't suggest one. Rather, what features caused you to 'rule them out'? That might help understand your slection reasoning a bit better.
I only plan on diving once or twice a month. Usually in lakes or scubaparks but occasionally the ocean.
OK, I don't see a lot of travel here.
I'm 5'9", 160lbs, 32in Waist.
So, probably a Medium size in most product lines will fit you.
I like to dive using an LP95 tank, don't dive enough to justify buying one though, so I rent whatever's available.
While the LP95 is a heavier cylinder, it will nicely offset some of the weight you might otherwise put in your BCD, and that shouldn't necessarily affect your lift requirements.
Weight Integration is a must.
Why is WI a must?

You have identified at least one BCD with travel-friendly design (light-wright, modest lift) - Hybrid Pure - and several with a huge amount of lift (~50lbs) for single cylinder diving (if I read the Leisure Pro site specs correctly). So, it is not clear if you are looking for a BCD that you will carry to a site, or travel with, or both. Among the choices I would tend to favor the Hybrid Pure on the basis of price, and functionality for occasional, single cylinder diving. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on any of these, and the Hybrid Pure is the least expensive of the group.

I'm not sure why you have ruled out a BP/W. That would be my only recommendation unless you were looking to go sidemount. The only dives I have ever done in a jacket BC were the ones in my OW class, and I would certainly do the same thing again.

So if you know what you DON'T want, and have a small list of what you want, why do you need help making the final choice?

I won't suggest one. Rather, what features caused you to 'rule them out'? That might help understand your slection reasoning a bit better.
Well first off BP/W seem to be more for the guy who is going to be diving in all different situations and needs to be able to change their rig to suit the dive. I just want a rig I can pull out of the closet, go dive, and be comfortable. Not to mention all the BP/W stuff I could find is not cheap. I mean the bladders alone are north of $300. Also I want to buy a rig that I can just pull out the box an dive it, not have buy all the different parts and hope if all works together.

Why is WI a must?
Weight Integration is a must because I hate having a weight belt shifting around on my waste. I like as much stuff to be all in one as possible.

You have identified at least one BCD with travel-friendly design (light-wright, modest lift) - Hybrid Pure - and several with a huge amount of lift (~50lbs) for single cylinder diving (if I read the Leisure Pro site specs correctly). So, it is not clear if you are looking for a BCD that you will carry to a site, or travel with, or both. Among the choices I would tend to favor the Hybrid Pure on the basis of price, and functionality for occasional, single cylinder diving. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on any of these, and the Hybrid Pure is the least expensive of the group.
Leisure Pro likes to only list the lift for the largest size available for BCDs to make the smaller ones look like they have a lot of lift. I'm just looking for something to toss in the truck head out to the lake and dive. Travel as far as flying is concerned is of no concern. I'd rather just rent gear when I get there. Every where I will be taking this BCD will be within driving distance so it doesn't need to be compact. The BCDs I selected were just based off of 3 things Price(<$500), Back Inflation, and Weight Integration. These were the only ones that fit the bill. I'm trying to figure out which ones the best quality, reliable, adjustable, user friendly, convenient, best performance under the water, and most of all comfortable.

Well first off BP/W seem to be more for the guy who is going to be diving in all different situations and needs to be able to change their rig to suit the dive. I just want a rig I can pull out of the closet, go dive, and be comfortable. Not to mention all the BP/W stuff I could find is not cheap. I mean the bladders alone are north of $300. Also I want to buy a rig that I can just pull out the box an dive it, not have buy all the different parts and hope if all works together.
Thanks, I better understand your reasoning. While you have some mis-perceptions about BP/W systems and prices, you have ruled it out so I won't go there.
I'm trying to figure out which ones the best quality, reliable, adjustable, user friendly, convenient, best performance under the water, and most of all comfortable.
When you say 'comfortable', that could mean different things - some people put on a BCD on shore, or even in a shop, and it feels great and they go for it because of that (Zeagle Ranger is a great example, simply feels great when you put it on, but the padding does absolutely nothing for you underwater, and only adds to the weight obligation, because that same padding makes it so positively buoyant). But, comfort out of the water, particularly where padding is involved, does not necessarily translate to comfort under water. Just curious about what you mean when you mention 'comfort'.

Based on what you said, I see three possibilities:

1. Among the units you mentioned, I would still go with the Mares Hybrid Pure. It comes closest to what you say you're looking for. I would not spend any extra money on the other units. Based on your described diving, you will be quite well-served, and spend the least money, with that unit.

2. You may have narrowed your choices down simply on the basis of what Leisure Pro carries. But, one other option to consider would be the Zeagle Express Tec Deluxe. A little pricier than the Hybrid, perhaps, but from my perspective a better value, less 'floaty', more streamlined, etc. Definitely a quality product and reliable, durable, very simple, easily adjustable, etc. And, you will get excellent after-sale support from Zeagle (we are a Mares dealer and I WON'T say the same thing for them - in the US, at least)

3. Frankly, based on what you say you want to do with what you buy, you would be equally well-served to go on eBay and look for used gear - there are A LOT of BCDs for sale out there. You will most likely fit in a Medium size, given your height, weight and waist size, and you might just take a look at the used / 'like new' medium size BCDs on eBay at the moment, before spending money with Leisure Pro for a new unit. You don't have to buy, but in looking you might find something that is less expensive than the new units you are looking at (with the possible exception of the Hybrid - the LP price is quite attractive, seems almost too good to be true), and will be every bit as good for you, for what you want to do.

Good luck.

Last edited:
You may also feel differently if you read my article on BPW's that I send free to anyone who shoots me an email address.

I also don't know where you have been researching BPW's but the prices you are coming up with are not typical. Also when I sell a BPW one option I offer at no charge is to assemble the rig before shipping. Your comment about being able to pull it out of the closet and just dive is one of the main selling points of a BPW. Once you have it adjusted it's done. It fits the same every time.

But as Colliam said it looks like your set against one even though it is the most comfortable rig I have used because it is truly a custom fit, so I agree with him head to ebay and pick up a used BC or even a couple of them. You'll see that in reality when it comes to jackets, and even back inflates, you'll be pulling and tugging on straps all the time to get it to fit just right, it will likely not be as stable as a BPW, you won't have the options to put things where you need them and customize it to your diving, and you'll be able to throw it away when one part wears put instead of just replacing a single component.

Oh and a medium Oceanic and a medium Mares, Aqualung, ScubaPro, etc. will not be the same size and all will fit differently since the mfg's have their own ideas about how YOUR bc should fit you. Without regards to how you think it should fit.

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2014 at 01:42 PM ----------

One other note about weight integration, one of the worst things and most dangerous ones is to put all your weight in one system. Many instructors don't teach weight distribution because they don't understand the concept. I rarely have more than 10 lbs on a belt and that's in a drysuit. It does not shift around. Weight belts shift because divers have too much on them, don't know to cinch them up, or have not tried a rubber freediving belt.

You may also feel differently if you read my article on BPW's that I send free to anyone who shoots me an email address.

I also don't know where you have been researching BPW's but the prices you are coming up with are not typical. Also when I sell a BPW one option I offer at no charge is to assemble the rig before shipping. Your comment about being able to pull it out of the closet and just dive is one of the main selling points of a BPW. Once you have it adjusted it's done. It fits the same every time.
So what is a normal price of a ready to go BP/W? Cheapest I could build one was $600.

Depending on where you get one and what features you choose 375-425 is easily done.

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2014 at 03:08 PM ----------

600 is at the very high end and not at all necessary to spend on a rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom