Warm Water BP/W Travel Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pconsidine007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

Planning to purchase my first set of gear, and have been researching on SB for several weeks now on which BP/W set-up would be best for me. However, while I have a better idea now than I did two weeks ago, I still don't have near enough confidence to make a decision, so hoping to enlist some advice from SB regarding my particular BP/W needs.

So here goes:

Background: I've logged a total of around 100 dives (Saba, Zanzibar, Bonaire, Belize, Komodo, Oman, Costa Rica, Maldives, Providencia, etc.), almost all of which were warm water. I ditched my wet suit after my first or second trip, and typically dive in board shorts and a long sleeve rasher (for protection, more than anything). Up until this point, I've always rented a jacket BCD from whatever op I've dove with (I've never dove a BP/W). On my most recent liveaboard trip to the Maldives, I gradually shed weight throughout the week, until I was down to 4lbs (2kgs). This allowed me to ditch my weight belt (which was amazing) and keep the weight in my BCD pocket (which after reading on SB, I realize prob wasn't the smartest idea). This was the first time I think I was ever weighted correctly and I WAS AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE IT MADE.

Anyway, I say all of this because I hope it gives some context to the type of diving that I do (warm water, single tank, no exposure suit), and what I learned makes me comfortable underwater.

What's Important to Me:

Price
: I want the most inexpensive rig, that doesn't compromise quality and fits my diving needs. Willing to pay a little more, but additional cost must be proportionate to legitimate improvement in comfort, performance, rig-flexibility, etc. Have little patience for marketing gimmickry - I work in advertising : )

Rig Flexibility
: Over the next 3-4 yrs, I don't see my diving changing much from what is outlined above (warm water, single tank, minimal exposure suit requirement). That said, I do like the idea of having the option to customize things if I ever do decide to get into tech diving. However, the customization optionality shouldn't come at a significant cost increase, nor should it compromise in any way the warm water set-up which I'll be diving 95% of the time in the foreseeable future.

Travel
: I live in Dubai now, and have decent warm water diving 2 hrs drive from me in Musandam Oman. I estimate that I'll dive there 15-25x next year, and my rig will simply be thrown in the trunk of my car. In addition, I'll also likely take 1 or 2 flights with my gear internationally per year. As such, I'll be looking for a rig that travels easily/lightly and is comfortable for taking along on "local" trips.

Weight
: As I mentioned above, ridding myself of a weight belt on my last trip was AWESOME. However, I realize now that putting the weight in my non-secure, BCD Jacket pocket was probably not the safest choice. This brings me to an important question. On a BP/W with no weight belt set-up, what options are there for secure, but dumpable weight? Is it an absolute must to have dumpable weight, from a safety perspective? If so, why? On my last few dives, when I was seemlingly perfectly weighted, I felt that if I was ever in an "emergency" situation, 2 strong kicks of the fins would have propelled me quickly to the surface - this left me wondering why "dumpability" is so important (not doubting that it is, just looking for better understanding).

My Size:
5’11” & 190lbs

Lift:
I've read a few posts that speak about a calculation that lands on the optimal Lift a wing should have, based on the type of diving one does. I understand this conceptually, but the actual calculation admittedly goes over my head. I hope that I've provided enough info here for people to be able to provide a recommendation (single tank, warm water)

Plate
: I've seen a lot of talk about when an Aluminum vs. SS vs. Hybrid plate should be used, but this is another one that leaves me a little baffled... so would appreciate some thoughts here as well.

I live in Dubai, which generally means overpriced, limited options for gear. I'll be back in the states (NYC) in October. Once I identify the right set-up for me, my plan is to keep an eye out for it "used" in the states (I can have it shipped to my bros place), or purchase it new at Leisure Pro once I'm back. Any thoughts / Tips on buying used gear? Things to look out for etc.?

Didn't think this post was going to be this long, so if you've come this far... thanks for reading. And thanks for any feedback / recommendations you might have.

Best,
PC

This is probably your best bet

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Since you need so little weight, i would go with an ali backplate. you'll need even less weight with a bp/w than you do with a jacket bc. I don't need any weight whatsoever in a single tank, warm water set-up. But i can swim my rig up in event of a wing failure.
Go for the standard light monkey DIR harness
no need for a backpad

also, if you decide to go tech in the future, you'll just need to buy a doubles wing. although, if you're concerned about cost, maybe tech diving isn't for you.

The diving you've done up to now has been all over the world so I am wondering whether a BP/W are the ideal solution instead of a lightweight BCD (you could of course go for an aluminum backplate but this won't help in getting rid of the ~2 kg you now place in BCD pockets).

I have a DiveRite Travelpak (http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/wings/t4000) that I use when I travel or for singles and a DiveRite Transplate with a stainless steel backplate for doubles or large singles with deco gas. The harness on both is the same hence no difference in configuration. My buddy dives similar set ups only he uses a Transpac (http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/backplatesandharnesses/t3300) for his doubles. We've both dived extensively in and around the UAE but also travel extensively with this kit.

I bought my DiveRite gear from https://www.divegearexpress.com and had them delivered without any problems to Dubai. My buddy has bought gear from DiversDown in Fujairah (they also have a dive shop on the Palm). The Dive Shop (http://www.thediveshopdubai.com) also does DiveRite.

Hope this helps.

@Masterchief: I do not understand why an alu bp would be a problem. A wing doesn't weigh much and is far sturdier than most travel wings. An alu bp weighs less than 1 kg. If extra weight might be needed you can easily put 2-4 kg on the waistbelt.
Ditchable weight is not necessary as long as one can paddle upwards with the wing empty, in case of failure.

1kg/2.2lbs Aluminium Backplate with a 11.3kg/25lbs travel single tank wing for 11L/AL80 cylinder. I wear a 0.5 mil full skinsuit with a 3mil hooded vest and battery heated cummerbund as needed for diving in the tropics. I don't use any additional lead weight. 168cm tall and weigh 70kg.

Do not use a single tank adapter (STA): it places the AL80 cylinder too high on your back such that the first stage of your Reg will keep butting the back of your head as you tilt your head up to look at that Manta Ray flying above you. Just use tank cam straps threaded through the BP slots, and a pair of bolt & wing nut fasteners to fix the wing to the BP.

Hello all,

Planning to purchase my first set of gear, and have been researching on SB for several weeks now on which BP/W set-up would be best for me. However, while I have a better idea now than I did two weeks ago, I still don't have near enough confidence to make a decision, so hoping to enlist some advice from SB regarding my particular BP/W needs.

So here goes:

Background: I've logged a total of around 100 dives (Saba, Zanzibar, Bonaire, Belize, Komodo, Oman, Costa Rica, Maldives, Providencia, etc.), almost all of which were warm water. I ditched my wet suit after my first or second trip, and typically dive in board shorts and a long sleeve rasher (for protection, more than anything). Up until this point, I've always rented a jacket BCD from whatever op I've dove with (I've never dove a BP/W). On my most recent liveaboard trip to the Maldives, I gradually shed weight throughout the week, until I was down to 4lbs (2kgs). This allowed me to ditch my weight belt (which was amazing) and keep the weight in my BCD pocket (which after reading on SB, I realize prob wasn't the smartest idea). This was the first time I think I was ever weighted correctly and I WAS AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE IT MADE.

Anyway, I say all of this because I hope it gives some context to the type of diving that I do (warm water, single tank, no exposure suit), and what I learned makes me comfortable underwater.

What's Important to Me:

Price
: I want the most inexpensive rig, that doesn't compromise quality and fits my diving needs. Willing to pay a little more, but additional cost must be proportionate to legitimate improvement in comfort, performance, rig-flexibility, etc. Have little patience for marketing gimmickry - I work in advertising : )

Rig Flexibility
: Over the next 3-4 yrs, I don't see my diving changing much from what is outlined above (warm water, single tank, minimal exposure suit requirement). That said, I do like the idea of having the option to customize things if I ever do decide to get into tech diving. However, the customization optionality shouldn't come at a significant cost increase, nor should it compromise in any way the warm water set-up which I'll be diving 95% of the time in the foreseeable future.

Travel
: I live in Dubai now, and have decent warm water diving 2 hrs drive from me in Musandam Oman. I estimate that I'll dive there 15-25x next year, and my rig will simply be thrown in the trunk of my car. In addition, I'll also likely take 1 or 2 flights with my gear internationally per year. As such, I'll be looking for a rig that travels easily/lightly and is comfortable for taking along on "local" trips.

Weight
: As I mentioned above, ridding myself of a weight belt on my last trip was AWESOME. However, I realize now that putting the weight in my non-secure, BCD Jacket pocket was probably not the safest choice. This brings me to an important question. On a BP/W with no weight belt set-up, what options are there for secure, but dumpable weight? Is it an absolute must to have dumpable weight, from a safety perspective? If so, why? On my last few dives, when I was seemlingly perfectly weighted, I felt that if I was ever in an "emergency" situation, 2 strong kicks of the fins would have propelled me quickly to the surface - this left me wondering why "dumpability" is so important (not doubting that it is, just looking for better understanding).

My Size:
5’11” & 190lbs

Lift:
I've read a few posts that speak about a calculation that lands on the optimal Lift a wing should have, based on the type of diving one does. I understand this conceptually, but the actual calculation admittedly goes over my head. I hope that I've provided enough info here for people to be able to provide a recommendation (single tank, warm water)

Plate
: I've seen a lot of talk about when an Aluminum vs. SS vs. Hybrid plate should be used, but this is another one that leaves me a little baffled... so would appreciate some thoughts here as well.

I live in Dubai, which generally means overpriced, limited options for gear. I'll be back in the states (NYC) in October. Once I identify the right set-up for me, my plan is to keep an eye out for it "used" in the states (I can have it shipped to my bros place), or purchase it new at Leisure Pro once I'm back. Any thoughts / Tips on buying used gear? Things to look out for etc.?

Didn't think this post was going to be this long, so if you've come this far... thanks for reading. And thanks for any feedback / recommendations you might have.

Best,
PC

My first BP/W was a Dive Rite Transplate with a Al plate and I added the additional weight pockets. This setup was a nice transition for me from a traditional BDC. I still like Dive Rite very much.

If you want to look at BP/Ws while in UAE check out Divers Down, Dubai & Fujairah, UAE | SCUBA Diving Dubai I dove with them over in Fujairah and they were just gearing up with Dive Rite equipment. I see they are also now in Dubai too. I would see what they have then compare what you might find in NY. My guess is that NY will be less expensive but who knows.

This was the first time I think I was ever weighted correctly and I WAS AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE IT MADE.
First, congratulations on getting to this point. Not every diver gets there, but those who finally achieve optimal weighting then realize what all the buzz is about regarding the importance of proper weighting.
Price: I want the most inexpensive rig, that doesn't compromise quality and fits my diving needs. Willing to pay a little more, but additional cost must be proportionate to legitimate improvement in comfort, performance, rig-flexibility, etc.
A BP with a simple, one piece web harness can be obtained for a fairly modest price. There is really no need to 'pay more', for something like a 'deluxe' harness, for example. The wing will be the most expensive part, and you will not generally find used wings - at least those suitable for single cylinder diving - readily available on eBay or Craigslist. I am not saying it is impossible, rather it is uncommon to see very functional gear like that on the used market.
Rig Flexibility: Over the next 3-4 yrs, I don't see my diving changing much from what is outlined above (warm water, single tank, minimal exposure suit requirement). That said, I do like the idea of having the option to customize things if I ever do decide to get into tech diving. However, the customization optionality shouldn't come at a significant cost increase, nor should it compromise in any way the warm water set-up which I'll be diving 95% of the time in the foreseeable future.
The only customization you might want for that kind of future is the addition of a larger wing, more appropriate for diving twin cylinders. That modularity is a big part of the growing appeal of a BP/W system. The plate doesn't necessarily have to change, only the wing.
Travel: As such, I'll be looking for a rig that travels easily/lightly and is comfortable for taking along on "local" trips.
A BP/W rig travels very easily, whether it is in your car, or on a plane. I just returned from a week-long trip to the Caribbean where I took my SS BP, and two wings, and no no issues with weight.
Weight:On a BP/W with no weight belt set-up, what options are there for secure, but dumpable weight? Is it an absolute must to have dumpable weight, from a safety perspective? If so, why? On my last few dives, when I was seemlingly perfectly weighted, I felt that if I was ever in an "emergency" situation, 2 strong kicks of the fins would have propelled me quickly to the surface - this left me wondering why "dumpability" is so important.
Again, congratulations. It appears you have also found out what a balanced rig feels like. To answer part of your question - NO, it is not an absolute to have 'dumpable weight', and YES, you can add 'dumpable weight' pockets (http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/pockets/ac3216) to the BP harness waist straps, if you feel such a need. I wouldn't. Frankly, what you want is a balanced rig, that you can easily swim up in the event of an emergency, but which provides sufficient weight to allow you to a) descend at the beginning of a dive, and b) hold your depth (e.g. at a safety stop) at the end of a dive. If you move from a slightly positively buoyant rental BCD, to a slightly negatively buoyant BP/W, I suspect you will be right there.
Lift: I hope that I've provided enough info here for people to be able to provide a recommendation (single tank, warm water)
You could easily dive with a wing between 18-30 lb. While I have long used a 30lb wing for single cylinder diving, I tried a new Apeks 18 lb wing (Apeks Products) last week in Bonaire, and LOVED it. For warm, salt water with a minimal exposure suit and wright, it provides plenty of lift.
Plate: I've seen a lot of talk about when an Aluminum vs. SS vs. Hybrid plate should be used, but this is another one that leaves me a little baffled... so would appreciate some thoughts here as well.
To the mix I could add one of the very light, 'soft' travel plates (Apeks Products). But, my suggestion would be to go with something like the Dive Rite XT Lite plate (SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Stainless Steel XT Lite Backplate) - stainless steel, weighs only a little over 2 lb, so it is quite similar to AL plates in weight. Dive Rite has stopped selling AL plates, in fact, and I suspect at least some others have done or will do the same thing. AL plates are actually a bit more expensive. While the light travel plates would work, you might not get away with 'no added weight'.
I live in Dubai, which generally means overpriced, limited options for gear. . . . plan is to keep an eye out for it "used" in the states . . . or purchase it new at Leisure Pro.
There are plenty of places in the US to purchase new gear at a very reasonable price. While LP gets a lot of press, I have personally found vendors such as Dive Gear Express (www.divegearexpress.com) offer more than competitive pricing, and selection, compared to LP. Dive Right In Scuba (www.diverightinscuba.com/) has already been mentioned. I would encourage you to also give consideration to Deep Sea Supply (https://www.deepseasupply.com/). The prices may not be quite as 'bargain basement', but the support - before and after any purchase - will be tremendous. I have had good experiences as well with Northeast Scuba Supply (Northeast Scuba Supply). My point is, don't limit your self to LP, particularly given the kind of gear you are thinking about.

@Masterchief: I do not understand why an alu bp would be a problem. A wing doesn't weigh much and is far sturdier than most travel wings. An alu bp weighs less than 1 kg. If extra weight might be needed you can easily put 2-4 kg on the waistbelt.
Ditchable weight is not necessary as long as one can paddle upwards with the wing empty, in case of failure.

My rationale -which might have not been very clear, I admit- was that if what you value most is reduced weight for frequent travel, then a lightweight BCD might be the way to go (if you prefer back-inflated setup giving you the feeling of BP/W then the Travelpak might be a viable option).

If, on the other hand, your objective is to eliminate weight belts and weights in pockets altogether, then maybe an aluminum BP might not have enough weight to allow you to achieve that (you'd still need to wear a weight belt or place weights in detachable pockets) whereas a SS BP might provide just the amount if weight you said you're currently using.

Hope it's clearer now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My rationale -which might have not been very clear, I admit- was that if what you value most is reduced weight for frequent travel, then a lightweight BCD might be the way to go (if you prefer back-inflated setup giving you the feeling of BP/W then the Travelpak might be a viable option).

If, on the other hand, your objective is to eliminate weight belts and weights in pockets altogether, then maybe an aluminum BP might not have enough weight to allow you to achieve that (you'd still need to wear a weight belt or place weights in detachable pockets) whereas a SS BP might provide just the amount if weight you said you're currently using.

Hope it's clearer now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very few BCDs will beat the total weight of a BP/W even with a SS BP. If they do the difference will be inconsequential. In my view much more important for travel is how flat it packs ie how much room it takes. Hard to beat BP/W when it comes to that.

Zeagle Express Tech. I have been diving one now for 4 years GREAT.
You will need a wetsuit in some locations, the Zip touch weight system will carry more than enough weight to counter the 3/2 or similar wetsuit.
The standard harness system (HOG) is fine. As I am getting on a bit and not as supple as I used to be I have considered putting a quick release onto 1 shoulder, but apart from that it's fine.
It dries really quickly, packs small.
I think I have the 30lb bladder but any small bladder that fits will do. Us warm watter divers don't need a lot of lift to counter the swing in buoyancy of neoprene or dry suit.
Only downside of a BP/W is on the surface. It is not as comfortable hanging about on the surface with an empty Alu 80. having all the buoyancy at the back it is an effort to stop being pushed face forward, you do have to consiously lie on your back. Put less air in the bladder, hold your SMB in the front, it can be overcome.
The ther issue is pockets. You don't have any so SMB has to be clipped off as does a knife/shears, photo gear, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom