New BP/W - How do I choose a wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I have decided to switch to a BP/W system and have done a lot of research but can not figure out wing selection. I travel for most of my diving so total system weight is a consideration. I have decided I want the DSS system.

Please correct me if I have got any or all of this wrong and advise me what to do.
I have emailed Tobin (DSS) as well in the hope he can help but would like input from afar (or from Tobin himself if available).

I am 160lb, lean (sink in fresh water with no kit unless I have a full set of lungs), usually dive in warm, salt water (3mm shortie), AL100 single tank.

Using my old Jacket BC (Cressi aqua ride; unknown buoyancy) I was carrying 2lb weight on my belt to be neutral.

Weight
(end of dive):
I've approximated a Kydex plate, harness, wing is -2lb, wetsuit +3lb, AL100 +2lb, Regs -4lb, extra (torch, smb etc) -2lb. I figure I am theoretically overweighted at the end of my dive with no weight belt by 3lbs?
(start of dive):
Only change should be the AL100 -10lb? Does this make my required lift 15lb with no weight belt and no extra ballast? (-2 bp/w, -4 regs, -2 extras, -10 full tank)

I hope to do some photography with my new kit so extra ballast (I assume) may push me past 20lb lift? I also sometimes dive with SS100 tanks (-14lb full, -2lb at 500psi?) on travel and 5mm wetsuit (+5lb?). I had been considering the DSS Torus 26 from these calculations but am not sure if the lift will be enough. Should I be looking at the LCD 30 instead or maybe even further?

I'm sorry if I have got this all wrong - my approximate weights were from various internet sources and I am completely new to calculating weights/lift having used only trial and error before.

Thank you all in advance.

Another option for you might be a soft backplate (like the DiveRite transpac, which I have). I dive with an HP 119 and 7+ mm wetsuit in fresh water and don't need any weight, even an AL backplate would overweight me.

I'd go with the 30lb wing just to be safe, and to keep open the possibility of using a steel tank in the future.

Reactions: cib
you said exactly what I was going to suggest. Just call Tobin if you want DSS stuff and he'll walk you through it.

Not sure which tanks your diving, but to my knowledge no tanks exhibit that buoyancy behavior.

Luxfer AL100's are 3lbs+ empty and 4.5lbs negative when full
Catalinas are 0.5 empty and 7.8 full, both negative

Scuba tanks aren't stainless steel/SS, too brittle. Aside from the weird Faber medium pressure 100 at 14.5lbs negative when full, the rest are right around 8.5lbs aside from the new Worthington x7s at -10. If you're diving a faber medium pressure then more power to you, but I have never actually seen one in person. That tank is 7.5lbs negative when empty, so it's one helluva weight. 100cf of gas is approximately 8lbs, so no 100cf tank can have a weight swing larger than that, -14 to -2 at 500psi doesn't exist. The closest tank to that is the Faber 131/135 when cave filled.... You'd know if you had that water heater on your back.

You did your weight right, your wing needs the amount of lift to float itself, typically the diver will be about neutral between ditchable weight and exposure protection. The 30 is probably better for you, the few extra lbs in that wing will only help and it's not much larger than the LCD26

Reactions: cib
Thank you for your input guys.
Unfortunately I was using random weights I had found online for my calculations so the tank weights are vastly out it seems but great help.
I plan to call Tobin tonight to try and figure this out fully.

Tobin certainly is a real source of knowledge. Very helpful and took his time to explain all the weights and lift requirements.
I'm very impressed by the customer service already. Looking forward to diving in a DSS rig in the near future !

Thanks for all your help guys.

I would take note of these considerations, in this order:

1. Compatibility (some wings dont work with all harnessess/Bps)

2. Lift capacity (are you diving twins or more? In my experience photography equipment is generally neutral underwater and I dont think it should be computed for lift. At least i dont.)

3. Material (you want to look at durability. My diverite venture wing is 9 yrs old and still diving)

4. Only then should style be considered, but thats just me.

DIR proponents may have a different opinion, so check their suggestions as well. A pull dump on the inflator hose, for example, is not DIR-spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom