oxycheq ultra lite travel plate with a different brand wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anybody done this? How did it work out?

The Oxycheq website says it only fits Oxycheq Mach V Wings, but I don't understand why it wouldn't fit othet wings.

I have an OMS wing.

The travel plate has holes in the center of it and the wing has holes in the center of it, it is just mechanics. your wing or any other wing will attach to the "plate". The only consideration is the method of controlling wing "taco" with a single tank when it needs to attach to the harness or plate. A little bitty singles wing should work fine. There are limitations to trying to use a doubles wing since the weight of the rig WILL stress the light construction of that back-plate.

I'm not sure, but they might have narrowed the traditional cam band spacing on the ultralite, and the Mach V's may have wider cam band slots to accommodate traditional band spacing as well as the ultralite. Could be wrong, someone here might have better experience or have one that they can measure.

I'm not sure, but they might have narrowed the traditional cam band spacing on the ultralite, and the Mach V's may have wider cam band slots to accommodate traditional band spacing as well as the ultralite. Could be wrong, someone here might have better experience or have one that they can measure.
If anybody out there does that would help me a lot.

If the cam band spacing was off, would I be able to use it with a STA?

Hi, I own an Oxycheq Ultralite plate (with an Oxycheq wing). If you need any measurements, I'm happy to help.

Measurements (inches) from my wife's year old Oxycheq travel plate: From the top - 1 1/4 to center of first mounting hole, 2 3/4 to center of second mounting hole, 3 1/4 to top of 1st cam band slot, 5 1/2 to bottom of cam band slot, 9 1/2 to top of 2nd cam band slot, 11 3/4 to bottom of cam band slot, 12 1/4 to center of third mounting hole, 13 3/4 to center of fourth mounting hole, 15 to bottom of the plate.

So, mounting holes are the std 11". Cam band slots are fairly narrow (2 1/4 inches) and 6 1/4 inches apart. Oxycheq wing has 3" slots for cam bands about 6" apart. I don't use mounting bolts on either of our rigs. Wings are held in place by the cam bands. I'm not sure how a separate STA would work.

STA could work but it wouldn't feel particularly good with the wing nuts in your spine....

My DiveRite Transpac has 7" cam band spacing on it. Halcyon STA has 11" cam band spacing. Due to OMS having major issues with distribution and what not, I can't find any of their wings online and their website is basically offline due to the acquisition. If you look at DiveRite, all of their single tank wings have huge gaps for cam band spacing so you can move the wings up and down via the bolt holes. I'm not sure what your OMS wing looks like, but if you post a picture of it we might be able to help more.

STA could work but it wouldn't feel particularly good with the wing nuts in your spine....
I didn't think of that, but picturing it it made me laugh

---------- Post added September 16th, 2014 at 05:48 PM ----------

I just measured using the measurements from awap, and I don't think it will work, but I might have measurewrong.

My top camband slots start inline with the mounting hole and is 3.25" long.
The bottom of the bottom camband slot is in line with the other mounting hole. Same length.
The cam slots are about 2.5" off the center of the wing.

I found the wing I have with a google search, it is BC116-32

---------- Post added September 17th, 2014 at 02:25 PM ----------

I think I'm going to try to buy the wing also. I'm sick of carrying my current setup on vacation.
The 18# mach V wing in the green color is on sale for $300 so it might be worth it for me. I'm assuming 18# wing would be enough for my warm water vacation dives. Then I can just keep my other setup together for cold water dives.

Thanks for all the help convincing me to just but the whole setup!

Back
Top Bottom