Sidemount BCD -- Which one? Could include back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crass3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a sidemount BCD as my back is getting to the point that SCUBA is becoming harder to carry all the gear to the water. I also want to get into advanced nitrox and deco, tri-mix, and probably some cave diving. I am wondering what sidemount BCD you use that would fit that bill of hauling plenty of bottles for the necessary mixes. I was thinking about the Hollis SMS100. It seems like a good all around kit but I'm sure I may be missing some details I should be looking at.

What sidemount kit would you recommend? Just got back from the ortho doctor and he says it is not my spine but my muscle that may be causing me the problems so his thought is that with physical therapy I should be fine. He just happens to be a diver too.

Depending on your lift requirements, the SMS75 might be better. Your best option is if you are serious about cave diving to go down and do cavern/intro/sidemount in Marianna. Likely won't be with Edd himself, but his instructors are damn near as good as he is, and he will help explain everything to you. I dive a Nomad, but my Nomad is a one off since it is made with the XL-Tall harness so it dives very different than the rest of them.

xDeep stealth is also popular, but you really need to be diving with a mentor or a proper instructor who actually knows what they're doing. Unfortunately in the US those are few and far between outside of cave country.

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't planning on purchasing today but the LDS had a deal on the floor model that was hard to pass up. I like to get stuff from them so they help me out when I need a hand with anything. Also wanted a warranty. That Hollis listed above sounds exactly like what I bought and wanted. Probably should have spent less and took a trip to FL for some training. Training info is also appreciated. I think I'm going to get an our of training by a sidemount instructor so he can get my kit set up right in a pool and then take it out for a few last dives before the winter.

I definitely want the lift of the SMS100 due to some of the things I plan to do in the future.

Back
Top Bottom