Help with Hollis HTS and Weight Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all, I've recently acquired a new HTS BP/W setup. I took my new rig out to the pool to conduct a weight check and had some issues. I'm hoping someone might have some good setup advice for me.

First off, I'm a fairly big guy 230lb 6'3" with a decent size "beer belly" my setup is as follows

XL Hollis HTS w S/S 6lb backplate and 45lb wing
Dual 10lb quick release weight pockets.
AL 80 Tank (no steel... yet)

In the past I have typically had to dive with 32lbs of lead in cold water with a 7mm full suit and hood/gloves etc using a standard vest style bc. 3lbs in each of the upper rear trim pockets and the reminder in the front dump pockets. I felt that was balanced pretty well.

With the new setup I definitely feel back heavy as I tend to turn belly up when I let go of all control.

With the bp/w setup I figured I've changed out my 6lbs of rear trim weights with the ss backplate and all my remaining weight (20 lbs in the pool) can just be thrown in the dump pockets and be done with it.. unfortunately it seems the modular dump pockets added to the HTS can only go out directly to the sides of my hips and not a little forward like I'm used to with the vest setup. My thought is to get a pair of non dump-able pockets and add them to the front of my waist webbing for better weight distribution. I'd really prefer not to wear an additional weight belt if I don't have to. My body has issues keeping a weight belt on my waist. Has anyone tried this or have another suggestion to get rid of my belly up problem? (Other than losing the belly which I am working on)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom