BP/W Travel Weight Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I am looking for some recommendations for ditchable weight pockets for a BP/W. Most of my diving is in the Pacific NW, so I usually have 8-10 pounds in trim pockets on my lower tank band, and then wear a DUI WT2 harness for the other 15 to 20lbs I wear with a 7mm 2-pc wetsuit. I am headed to a nice tropical location in December, and will only need 4-8 pounds total extra weight. Although I could swim up with this amount of weight during a buoyancy loss, I'd prefer to have some amount of ditchable weight. I figure the last thing I want to deal with under duress is trying to ditch my whole rig on the surface or mess with dumping weight out of the trim pockets (which I can do, but it is not pretty or fast)

I see a bunch of options from Dive Rite, IST, Apeks, Hollis etc, but they seem to either be expensive overkill, or chintzy crap. Can anyone offer first-hand experience on their rig / past experience?

Thanks much!
Dave

Some time ago I went in search of weight pockets for my personal BP/W. I tried every one I could. I ended up with the IST. It worked so well for me that I added them to all my rental BP/Ws. They are made specifically for backplates, they work very well, and they are fairly inexpensive.

Since that time I have become a dealer for IST because I think they make a great product at a fair price.

Although I stock several sizes of IST BP/W pockets, I think this is the right one for you (and it's the one I use).

BC/Harness Weight Pocket

. . . I am headed to a nice tropical location in December, and will only need 4-8 pounds total extra weight. Although I could swim up with this amount of weight during a buoyancy loss, I'd prefer to have some amount of ditchable weight. I figure the last thing I want to deal with under duress is trying to ditch my whole rig on the surface or mess with dumping weight out of the trim pockets (which I can do, but it is not pretty or fast) . . . .

So if I understand correctly, your concern is not so much about ditching weight at depth--since you can swim up 4-8 lbs.--but rather maintaining buoyancy on the surface after an incident. Will the ability to ditch a mere 4-8 lbs. really make or break that? If you figure you need 4-8 lbs. of lead, it sounds like you plan to dive with something like a 3 mm wetsuit and an aluminum or Kydex plate. I'm not trying to persuade you--I ask out of curiosity because I dive this sort of configuration all the time without ditchable weight. I seem to float what I think is "well enough" at the surface. But maybe not?

Thanks Scubatude - The IST ones are probably at the top of my list - they just look a little cheap.. What is the attachment mechanism to the harness on those?

---------- Post added October 21st, 2014 at 12:49 PM ----------

Lorenzoid - correct -I don't care about ditching at depth and I really wouldn't an uncontrolled ascent anyways! But yes, I think being able to ditch that 4-8 pounds at the surface could make all the difference in a true emergency. I know if I am trying to tread water (no SCUBA gear at all) holding an 8 pound weight gets tiring pretty quickly!

---------- Post added October 21st, 2014 at 12:52 PM ----------

decompression - Steel backplate... either a 3mm shortie or 5mm full suit most likely. I've seen those XS pockets - they seem a bit chintzy but are an option.

Even simpler. Pull the Velcro tab and pop the weight up and out from the bottom.

Thanks Scubatude - The IST ones are probably at the top of my list - they just look a little cheap.. What is the attachment mechanism to the harness on those?...

I actually have several models in stock, in fact I have all of the Dolphin Tech / IST weight pockets in stock, however the ones I use have 2 vertical belt loops and 1 horizontal at the top. You feed the harness down through the horizontal loop just before it passes through the bottom of the backplate, then as it comes out of the backplate to form the waist belt, you slide it through the 2 vertical belt loops. It holds it in place very well. They are actually quite well made. I use the same one on my rentals and have yet to have a problem.

Even simpler. Pull the Velcro tab and pop the weight up and out from the bottom.

I use those pockets. I've been under the impression that "ditchable" meant some kind of quick-release mechanism.

I am also looking for detachable weight pouches but I need them to be able to attach to the webbing between two fixed points, I can not slide the webbing through the pouch. Anyone know of anything like that?

Do I understand correctly:

I usually have 8-10 pounds in trim pockets … the other 15 to 20lbs I wear with a 7mm 2-pc wetsuit.
That is 23 to 30 pounds with a 7mm wetsuit – is that correct? This is on top of the steel plate.
I am headed to a nice tropical location in December, and will only need 4-8 pounds total extra weight.

That is 4-8 pounds extra weight plus the other 15 to 20lbs hence 19 to 28 pounds plus the steel plate. Is this correct? this is for a 3mm shorty or 5mm full.

This sound like over-weighting, I would look at getting buoyancy and weighing rights before buying more gear.

I would expect with a 7mm 2 pc suit and a std BCD 18 to 21 pounds total weight should be fine. With a plate this could be 15 to 18 pounds total weight.
My wife dives a dry-suit with std BCD and only used 18 pounds.

I dive a 5mm 2pc and std BCD with 15 pounds total weight. For student we would probably look at 18 pounds.

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2014 at 08:23 AM ----------

I've seen those XS pockets - they seem a bit chintzy but are an option.

I have purchased XS std pockets and was very disappointed when the stitching came apart on the first dive. Then had difficulties with the supplier. XS - never again.

Back
Top Bottom