Hollis Aluminum Backplate Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGE925

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've just purchased a nice Hollis black anodized Aluminum backplate from my local LDS/Hollis dealer, for use in a lightweight travel BP/W setup.

The Hollis backplate has two pairs of small 3/16" holes 1 inch apart, exactly in between. and parallel to, the pairs of slots at the waist of the plate, where the webbing goes from shoulder strap to waist strap. Checking the web, a relatively few photos of the aluminum plate show the holes, most do not show the holes, and I can find no mention of what those holes are for. Hollis's website does not not show the holes on the photo of this backplate in their catalog.

IMG_3824.jpg

It strikes me that the could be used for some sort of easy-adjust system like the Halcyon Cinch or Agir Halpa systems, particularly the latter. Going from the Cinch on my SS Halcyon plate, to just having the webbing run directly through the slots on the Hollis plate, has been exasperating. I love the easy sliding adjustability of the Cinch and would love to rig something similar on the Hollis plate to make tightening up the shoulder and waist webbing much easier. If a ready made solution isn't out there, I'm going to try and MacGyver something.

Would someone know what those holes are for, and is/was there any accessories that use them?

Thanks

The holes are the result of a recent minor redesign of the Hollis plates - both steel and AL. Any pictures you see without them are likely the old versions - interesting that Hollis's own website still has the old versions pictured. I remember when the new versions came out there was a discussion on it and the Hollis rep here (Hollis Gear Nick - somethign like that) said the holes were for a "yet-to-be-revealed" accessory but I don't know that that accessory ever came out - at least there's nothing on the website. If I had to guess I'd say they were mounting holes for a Hollis version of the Halcyon Cinch system - but again, no such accessory seems to currently exist.

The holes are the result of a recent minor redesign of the Hollis plates - both steel and AL. Any pictures you see without them are likely the old versions - interesting that Hollis's own website still has the old versions pictured. I remember when the new versions came out there was a discussion on it and the Hollis rep here (Hollis Gear Nick - somethign like that) said the holes were for a "yet-to-be-revealed" accessory but I don't know that that accessory ever came out - at least there's nothing on the website. If I had to guess I'd say they were mounting holes for a Hollis version of the Halcyon Cinch system - but again, no such accessory seems to currently exist.

Thanks Sean. Just for the hell of it, I'll ask about this on the Hollis Forum and see if they respond.

They have been talking about this "new accessory" for these holes since at least 2011. I made an initial enquiry back then after I bought a SS plate and noticed it had the holes but that my older AL plate did not. I was basically told to " watch this space". I made another enquiry about a year after that but as with my attempts to contact Nick and/or Hollis on other matters no reply was ever recieved. I eventually ended up selling all my Hollis gear for one reason or another. As another poster has mentioned I'd say it's for some sort of webbing adjuster, cinch or harpa style, not much else it can be really.

Back
Top Bottom