BP/W setup help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nbkoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Before this I asked about BC advice for back mount and side mount hybrid. Now I was wondering if it is possible to make an configuration with a harness and a wing or multiple wings.
For example I have a Scubapro X-TEK harness and I want to use it for single BM, double BM and Double SM and also lets of high and I will use it for tech diving with 4 or 5 cylinders.

So what should I do. I used esspecially Scubapro because my dry suit is scubapro everdry and one of my friend told me to use the same brand harness or BCD will be more comfortable than the others.

Can you give me some advice, any ideas about this.

I would dump the X-TEK harness and go with the simple hog harness. No need any extra bells and whistles. Check out this website for how to set up a backplate and wing system.

http://www.baue.org/faq/backplate_sizing_inline_images.php

There is zero reason to match the brand of harness (or anything else) to the brand of drysuit, except for the manufacturer's profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Your friend needs some educating. Dump the x tek harness or better sell the entire x tek to someone and buy a plain plate with 15 feet of webbing and make a one piece. Brand has zero to do with fit. For sidemount buy a sidemount harness instead of trying to Rube Goldberg something.

I use several of these in my rental fleet, quickly change from SM to BM and with other wings, double BM. 2 harness set ups and one wing. Or just the SM harness and wing for both SM/BM (I use the back plate because we need the extra weight).

9ff2852aa77e04013895aaef864793ff.jpg

8a54c0f98153b1408c09d8e2c56e0918.jpg

90d46c3c7c5dc02f5144dd00ff42f050.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

only the DiveRite Nomad XT works properly for all of the scenarios listed above. The Hollis SMS100 sort of works but because so much of the wing is under the backplate it does funny things when it's fully inflated. The Nomad keeps all of the air out from under the butt plate so you can use all of it. It does in fact work just fine in doubles and single backmount, and obviously was designed for double tank sidemount. Only reason it works well is because the wing is tied to the waist strap so it doesn't wrap around funny.

If you are adamant about using the Xtek harness, then you need to have three wings, one for singles, one for doubles, and one for sidemount. With the sidemount wing, you are limited to the xDeep stealth wing, Razor wing, or the UTD wing. None of these will work for anything but sidemount due to lack of bolt holes. It is certainly not the ideal circumstance and your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about regarding keeping everything from the same brand, it's just not true.

For a number of years I tried to work out a BM/SM hybrid solution. As it turned out, there was no true "solution" just something that did both "ok" and neither very good. My recommendation would be to get a simple Hogarthian BP/W set up for your BM dives and find the best sidemount rig for that. Both can be found relatively inexpensively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom