First BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThePurpleRabbit

Registered
Reaction score
Although I was originally passed my open water course in 2007, I didn't begin diving regularly until this past summer. I have about 30 dives under my belt (most for classes). So far, I've always used rental gear, but I'm ready to buy my own.

I've spoken with my instructors and have done research online. The most common advice I've found is: the "best" choice often comes down to personal preference. Ideally, the gear I buy will be (relatively) portable and long-lasting. I'm currently considering the Apeks WTX using the following components:

Apeks Stainless Steel Backplate $180

Apeks Single Cylinder Wing (30lbs of lift) $380

Apeks Surelock Weight System $135

Apeks WTX Harness (small) $375

OR

Cressi Travelight BCD $430

Are these components compatible? Are they reasonably priced? Do you have any alternative recommendations? Will they provide me the lift I need? Is there anything else I should consider regarding the purchase of a BC?

Last edited:
oh my, here's a big can of worms.
Search around on here for information on these threads, luckily you want a bp/w so that helps.

Lift, you gave no indications of your diving style or location, 30lbs is enough for everything but cold water diving, with al80's, and 7mm farmer johns. You need 40lbs for that.

Why are you wanting Apeks? They make great regs, but nothing special about their wings or harnesses, certainly not to justify that cost. $1070 plus tax.... YIKES!

You just missed a crazy sale on the following package....
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
$480 if you want the Hollis harness which is similar to the WTX harness, though I would recommend getting the one piece harness first and buy a Transplate down the road if you don't like it. $380 there. Spend the rest of the money on a good reg setup.

Awesome. This is very helpful! I have no preference for any particular brand, the Apeks WTX just happened to be what I was able to find reviews about.

Regarding lift, so far I've dove fresh water at Lake Mead (Nevada) and salt water in San Diego. I'll be moving to the Eastern Caribbean next year and am planning to bring my gear with me to use over there. I'm 5'5'' and weigh about 110lbs. I prefer diving in a 7mm wetsuit.

30lbs is plenty, you'll be fine. Call DRiS and talk to Mike, he'll guide you through. Based on your size I'm assuming female, and you might actually really like the one piece harness, the female divers I know actually prefer them to the hiking pack style harnesses due to your anatomical differences.... No need for padding on either the plate or the shoulders with a 7mm suit either, so wouldn't waste the money on those. If you are concerned about the QR, the Dive Rite Deluxe QR harness is very nice as well. Mike will really be able to help you through the process, he's a super nice guy.

He will also likely hook you up with a good reg package with it with the money you're saving. The Edge Epic sealed is a real sleeper and destroyed the regulator reviews a year or two ago. You'll want to stay with yoke if you're diving in the Caribbean.
AT20 US4 Stage 4 Set - Regulator Packages - Packages - Dive Right in Scuba
That's a really nice reg set as well if you're concerned about service, though you can learn to do the Edge ones yourself. Unsealed though but he should have the parts there to convert it to a sealed reg for you, really nice when diving in salt water since it makes rinsing easier.

Would also recommend asking for the hoses to mimic those of the Dive Rite AOW regulator package since that is a great way to route regulators. Many of us have used this setup in OW environments for years and it's great that the manufacturers are offering it.

[video=youtube;2OrTXi-hjv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OrTXi-hjv4&list=UUVCYEickXcRonYDFqvvZ4hw[/video]

30 lb. of lift is going to be plenty.

I dive cold water, 7mm, steel plate and steel HP 100 with a 32 lb. wing without any issue. I even sling a steel 72 from time to time as well with the same wing. I wouldn't see a need for a 40 lb. unless you were in doubles. For that matter, I am actually waiting on a new Eclipse wing to arrive and it is only 30 lb. for the same diving.

I am far less experienced than you (TPR), but I just acquired a used Deep Sea Supply (DSS) stainless steel BP/W setup (for a song!). In so doing, I went to their website and read everything I could find. It looks like you can get a full setup from them (stainless steel BP, wing, and harness) for under $500.

However, for the size you are, and with your plans to move to the Caribbean, I have to pose the question, would you be better off to get an aluminum, or maybe even kydex hybrid or plastic, back plate? tbone can probably shed some good light on this. I'm a newb, so I really don't know, but it seems like between planning to dive warm water and being smaller in stature, you might not really need the extra weight benefits (and drawbacks) of a steel BP.

HOG 32 lb wing/ Manta Stainless Steel OR Aluminum plate, HR 2 basic one piece harness, and Delrin Buckle Cam bands for a total of 399.00** (Add 20.00 for stainless steel cam bands)
I'm right in the middle of packing one up now for a customer in New England.

That is my price shipped in the CONUS. Had you came on during black Friday the same set up would have been 70.00 less. That also includes threading the harness. I have an article on BPW's that I send free of charge to anyone who provides an email address. It covers set up, adjustment, and your options for weighting, pockets, and use of a long hose reg. It is illustrated as well.

---------- Post added December 10th, 2014 at 04:11 PM ----------

I am far less experienced than you (TPR), but I just acquired a used Deep Sea Supply (DSS) stainless steel BP/W setup (for a song!). In so doing, I went to their website and read everything I could find. It looks like you can get a full setup from them (stainless steel BP, wing, and harness) for under $500.

However, for the size you are, and with your plans to move to the Caribbean, I have to pose the question, would you be better off to get an aluminum, or maybe even kydex hybrid or plastic, back plate? tbone can probably shed some good light on this. I'm a newb, so I really don't know, but it seems like between planning to dive warm water and being smaller in stature, you might not really need the extra weight benefits (and drawbacks) of a steel BP.

With this it actually depends on whether or not exposure protection will be used and what type. The tank selection comes into play as well. I dive a steel plate with anything from a 3 mil shorty in the pool to a dry suit. With al tanks the steel plate allows me to use maybe 2-4 lbs. depending on fresh or saltwater on a belt with a 3 mil. Or if using my cam band pockets no weight on the belt. An al plate may require me to carry a few pounds just to offset the buoyancy swing on an al tank. Not a big deal but if I don't need the weight why carry it.

With this it actually depends on whether or not exposure protection will be used and what type. The tank selection comes into play as well. I dive a steel plate with anything from a 3 mil shorty in the pool to a dry suit. With al tanks the steel plate allows me to use maybe 2-4 lbs. depending on fresh or saltwater on a belt with a 3 mil. Or if using my cam band pockets no weight on the belt. An al plate may require me to carry a few pounds just to offset the buoyancy swing on an al tank. Not a big deal but if I don't need the weight why carry it.

Good point. TPR said he/she (I don't like to assume) prefers a 7mm wetsuit, so that right there might be reason enough to go with SS, I guess?

it is, the extra 4lbs in a carryon doesn't matter all that much for travel. For ocean diving I'd really recommend SS plates and cam bands as well. Jim's deal is pretty good, though I do prefer the trianta wing shape over the Hog's. I've dove both quite extensively as well as the Halcyon Eclipse 30lbs, and I much prefer the shape of the Halcyon/Trianta over the Hog.

In the interest of full disclosure: I'm a male (just small).

I was considering SS over aluminum backplate to reduce the amount of extra weight I'd need to dive.

All of the feedback you guys have provided has been amazing!

Where do you guys typically buy your gear? I'm sure it's silly, but I'm nonetheless a bit skeptical about buying from a small-scale online retailer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom