Hog wing and manta BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fr0stbyte047

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just got my first ever BP/w (manta BP and HOG wing) and trying to set it up. I think I got all the straps on correct, but I'm not 100% sure on how the HOG wing attaches.
BP.jpgwing.jpg
Do I just thread the cam band first through the HOG wing, then steel plate, and back out through the HOG wing? Are sex bolts necessary? It seems like if it's just the cam bands, the wing can shift up and down.

Also, should I have threaded the harness through the wing instead? I don't plan on swapping out the wings anytime soon.

The sex bolts make it a little more convenient to keep things lined up but once the rig is on a tank and cinched tight, the wing is held in place by the cam straps.

sorry mate, but you're going to have to reweave that harness..... That is a strange one indeed, but where the top strap crosses over, you're going to have to put that through the cam band slots to get it to work. I've never seen that before, but Manta has apparently lowered the angle slots considerably compared to the normal plates. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a thing. You'll have to put the grommet on the other side of the plate, then weave the cam bands through that bitWing shouldn't ever be permanently attached to the harness, so the cam bands will hold it in, but I do recommend sex bolting because the slots are so wide the wing will shift up and down considerably if it isn't bolted down

Just got my first ever BP/w (manta BP and HOG wing) and trying to set it up. I think I got all the straps on correct, but I'm not 100% sure on how the HOG wing attaches.
View attachment 199168View attachment 199169
Do I just thread the cam band first through the HOG wing, then steel plate, and back out through the HOG wing? Are sex bolts necessary? It seems like if it's just the cam bands, the wing can shift up and down.

Also, should I have threaded the harness through the wing instead? I don't plan on swapping out the wings anytime soon.

You have it right. The cam bands thread through the wing>plate>wing. Sex bolts are not needed. Once the tank is secured nothing moves, and the HOG wing has built in tank stabilizers. You will be just fine.

That being said, I prefer a single tank adapter that keeps everything tight and secure with or without a tank secured or cam bands cinched down. With the single tank adapter (STA) the wing is sandwiched between the STA and the plate.

sorry mate, but you're going to have to reweave that harness..... Wing shouldn't ever be permanently attached to the harness, so the cam bands will hold it in, but I do recommend sex bolting because the slots are so wide the wing will shift up and down considerably if it isn't bolted down

You have it right. The cam bands thread through the wing>plate>wing. Sex bolts are not needed. Once the tank is secured nothing moves, and the HOG wing has built in tank stabilizers. You will be just fine.

If I reweave with the harness outside, it makes the wing "permanently attached" doesn't it?
As of right now, I just stuck the wing on top of this and threaded the cam bands through (wing>plate>wing), but it just seems very "floppy"

If I reweave with the harness outside, it makes the wing "permanently attached" doesn't it?
As of right now, I just stuck the wing on top of this and threaded the cam bands through (wing>plate>wing), but it just seems very "floppy"

As others have said, the "floppy" will go away as soon as you attach a tank with the cam bands

the top part of the harness with the grommet just needs to go through the upper cam band slot instead of on top of it. That shouldn't be that loose, should be the tightest part on the rig. Only have to undo the right side so you'll only drop one D-ring instead of two and the buckle which is nice. Just undo the waist and upper shoulder. Once the harness is woven properly stick the cam bands in through the slots and wing and sex bolt the wing on the top and bottom. The hog wing has holes well above the top cam band slot and below the bottom, so you're set on that.

What actually happens with this set up is that the cam bands and harness lock each other in the first time you get it wet. You can push the harness up to the next hole and sex bolt it or not. The cam bands do hold the wing securely once the tank is put on. Though not necessary you can put a sex bolt through the wing and one of the bottom holes on the plate just as a locator device. Keeps the wing from sliding up and down. But with the long slots on the wing it's easy to slide it up and down when positioning it on the tank.
I've sold a dozen or so of these setups and used one myself to make sure it worked before offering it. You can use an STA as well but with the roll control on the HOG wings it's not really necessary. it is a bit of a pain threading a plate and wing of any kind. At least when it's not secured. That's why I fabricated a custom stand to do it here since I set up quite a few of these.100_0777.jpg100_0779.jpg100_0780.jpg

Great, wasn't looking forward to redoing the weave. I'll probably grab a sex bolt (or two) just because I prefer it to not move around so much when not attached to a strap.

What a strange design on that plate. If you look at the plate that Jim shows in his pictures, you can see that the top cam band slots are completely below the harness slots. Tbones suggestion to rethread the harness is a good one.

The right waist strap just needs to be unthreaded half way. If it is a standard hogarthian set-up, you don't have the buckle and you don't have a right hip D ring, just unthread the webbing until you can remove the right chest D ring. Then unthread the right shoulder. Now thread it through the cam band slot and rethread the shoulder, add the shoulder D ring and thread the rest of it. That should take you all of 5 minutes at the most.

The webbing will hold the marks where it was through the plate before and where the chest D ring was. It should be easy to get them back in the same places.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom