Which wing and other questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
Ok, today my brain finally clicked to the BP/W position, and I've decided to drop some cash and make the purchase. However, I have a couple of questions, which I'm sure have already been addressed in previous threads, but the search function spits out literally a ton of pages, and I really don't want to thumb though all of them.

I believe I'm going with the S&W Hammerhead BP at http://www.swmetalproducts.com/hhbp1.asp (along with their harness), but I'm wondering what wing I should/can get for this BP? I'll be doing mostly single tank, cold water (7mm kind of water), all rec, at least for the upcoming year or so. And do I have to get an STA or just cam bands? I guess that depends on the wing.

I also would like some weighting system recommendations. I know Dive Rite has their pocket weight system, and I'd rather not go with a weight belt, but what are the options?

Signed,

Another BP/W convert (though not DIR)

Thanks.

I want to buy Michelin tires. Which car should I get with them? :54:

Aren't your priorities reversed? I suggest you search this forum for opinions on wings first. Brands that many people like are Halcyon, Dive Rite and OMS.

I think the top two suggestions would be the 44 lb Oxycheq Signature series ($335) and the 40 lb Halcyon Eclipse wing ($368).

I have a Halcyon Pioneer wing. If I were buying one now I'd probably get the Eclipse wing. With the Oxycheq, you need to special request a short inflator hose, and you get the older style inflator with plastic buttons. The Eclipse has the "correct" inflator length and the new inflator mechanism, so I think it would be worth the $30 or so.

jonnythan:
With the Oxycheq, you need to special request a short inflator hose
Sorry Jonnythan, but this is incorrect. I've posted photos of the two inflators on an OxyCheq and a Halcyon side-by-side. They're the same length. This all started with some long inflator LP hoses being supplied on the very original batch of wings that were distributed.

I've seen lots and lots of posts of people saying they got the long inflator, and had to request the shorter one. Guess it's not done anymore, but if I were ordering one I'd sure make a special note to ask for the shorter one.

Ah well.

In reference to the poster's original question - you can use just about any wing you want. The SW Metalworks plate has camband slots already cut in, so you can use the Halcyon, or get a STA and use just about any other type wing.

Word of caution - take a metal file and be prepared to take the 'bite' off some of the edges. Mine was pretty sharp when I got it.

I don't mean to hijack this post, but does the S&W harness kit come with the buckle, d rings, and slide keepers? If it does, the harness kit is a steal at $38. Thanks for the input. CJ

FredT's harness kit is a great deal, at $40.

"The standard harness set kit consists of 6 yards of 2” heavy webbing, 2 ea. 45° Billy rings, 1 ea. 90° Billy ring, heavy keeper, light keeper, heavy D-ring, light D-ring and SST pin buckle."

I believe you can substitute bent or standard D-rings for the Billy rings.

S&W has a special going right now:

1. $99 (plus shipping) for a Stainless Steel plate and 1 pieces STA
2. Aluminum plate with a two piece STA for $69.99 plus shipping
3. Harness kits for $44.99

Not bad all things considered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom